new salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fugarwi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the sw tanks, I have done a lot of research (I think) and this is what I have so far:
I bought a 180 gal all glass from a friend which came with a wet dry and bio balls. He had a fish only system, and while I am not prepared to attempt anything other than fish, I wanted the ability to move up...I cleaned the tank as advised by some of you. It now sits empty waiting...

I bought a 30 gal tank for my medical/quarantine tank. In both of the tanks I plan on live rock and sand and sort of a berlin system with mechanical filtration also. The 30 gal came with a tetra tec hang on the back mechanical filter, which takes their pre made filters. (including activated carbon) I just mixed the salt in the tank, and there is nothing else in the tank at the time and I plan on waiting a week and adding the uncured live rock and the shrimp to cycle the tank. I have read I should wait until the end of the cycle to add activated carbon, but the hang on back is big enough that I could add some LR rubble. It would be totally submerged all the time. Is it worth it? Also, on my 180, the sump is designed just to keep the bio balls wet, should I ditch them and put in lr rubble instead?

Thanks for the advice!
Jeff

fugarwi said:
Also, on my 180, the sump is designed just to keep the bio balls wet, should I ditch them and put in lr rubble instead?

Yes this a very good idea. The rubble should be submerged. You really dont need the filter unless you want to run it for water movement and GAC. The shrimp and uncured LR is a good way to cycle your tank. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

In both of the tanks I plan on live rock and sand

Don't put sand or rock in the QT tank. If/when you treat with copper or other meds, they'll stay in the rocks and sand and kill off inverts (not that they'll be in the QT but...). Most QT tanks. Check this article out on QT tanks use and setup.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

the sump is designed just to keep the bio balls wet, should I ditch them and put in lr rubble instead?
Yes. Rock rubble is good. Bio balls can harbor nitrates after some time and cause problems.

Sounds like you have done your reading and the above advice is very sound. We want pics!

Well, I wish I had read some of the articles on qt tanks before! In the books I have read, they talk about qt fish, but nothing about coral...of course, I have to admit, since I felt keeping corals was several years out, I might not have paid close enough attention! Because I have already promised my kids their own tank (the qt tank) I think I will continue as before, but I do have a reservation. If I believe I see problems and feel the need to medicate, I can use another container, but can the parasites infect the qt tank? Especially the live rock/sand and the bio filters? It was my intention to keep a couple of damsels in the tank to keep up the bio filter, and I know I am gonna hear it for this - but I considered them to be an acceptable loss if something bad happened. But what about the lr in the tank and hob filter? I have never heard of qt live rock, but that isnt saying much... Also, in the article it talked about hypo salinity or something... I am assuming that is raising the specific gravity above norms for some time... yet another thing I have not heard of...

Also, I have one more question about the cycle... If I were to purchase "cured" lr, from my lfs, I have read I may not see the normal cycle. The cost difference between cured and uncured is not that great for the 30 gal, I was just thinking it would help with my knowledge when I set up the 180 as I will buy uncured due to the cost. (my concerns deal with the smell and the guaranteed complaints from my wife - I plan on cycling my 180 next summer when I can have all of the windows open! : )

Thanks for the help, and the links for me to read!

Jeff

fugarwi said:
but can the parasites infect the qt tank? Especially the live rock/sand and the bio filters?

This is OK because you will be treating the QT should anything be wrong. You should not have sand or LR in the QT. Just some PVC for them to hide in. You talk about keeping some damsels in your QT to keep up the bio cycle. All that is needed is a few flakes of food every couple weeks. The damsels will eventually harass any new additions to the QT thus stressing out instead of a stress free environment. Just some suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom