New Salt Water Tank (Newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats great I'll try and find it. I also plan on getting egg crate to put on the bottom of my tank, do you use this?

I don't. I see the merits for it, but I feel with a deep enough sand bed and my rocks firmly wedged deep into the bed, that the sand alone will distribute the weight. I could be wrong but i've never had a need to. With the bigger tanks I probably should and probably will on the 200.

Okay thanks, and I found the bulbs they are t5 bulbs thats what I was talking about.

*EDIT* And can you post a link to the pictures you said you jus uploaded?

I would start with soft coral. Zoa's are my favorite as they are colorful and come with an added bonus, they close up and stay closed when something is wrong with the water, basically a little warning system.

I would also like to know what people do with there tanks when they are on vacation? Everything from a couple days to a couple months.

well, if its just for a few days, 1-4 days, id just use an automatic feeder.

if its for longer thanm four days, ask a neighbor to feed them.

Be sure that neighbor knows saltwater. I have heard to many horror stories. Anything from to much food to the wrong topoff water to leaving the lights off to save you some money....yeah right.

O believe me, I fully educate any person who looks after my pets. I have a rabbit and 3 cichlid tanks, and they leave with unbelievable knowledge.

I have another question: Can someone help me figure out how much base rock and live rock I should get. I want to cut down on the LR cause I am one of those environmental gurus.

In that case, make your own. check out my thread in this forum. Other then that you would need 20 to 25 lbs of base rock and 5-10 lbs of live rock.

Thanks thincat! I have another question. I want to get people ideas on what to have in a 32g FOWLR tank. You could add corals as well. Here it is: If I gave you a 32g tank for a saltwater set up what would you put in it?

**EDIT** And where can you buy pre made sumps -that you don't have to drill you tank- at?

I have a question about clams now, do you need a certain amount of lighting? I think so, but can someone help. Are there easy clams to start with?

Clams need a LOT of light and really good water. I wouldn't attempt it if you don't have MH

Okay I was just waying my options so they are not for beginners then.

I also might be getting my hands on another larger tank. I don't know the size but the people I am getting it from think its between a 55 to 90 gallon tank. So I will be getting that for free. It just needs to be resiloconed with fish safe silocon!

How do you go about resiloconing?

Back
Top Bottom