New Salt Water Tank (Newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quartz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am new to the saltwater hobby. I have had 7 years of freshwater experiance and I think its time to upgrade my tank.

I don't have much space but I know that its possible to set up a saltwater fish tank with a 30g tank, actually 32g. Is there anything that anyone could recommend? Everything from fish that I could put in the tank (hopefully clowns) to the filter I need?

Right now I have a heater, filter, and thank that holds cichlids. I don't plan to switch over for a couple of years put would like to get some knowledge.

I have done endless amount of research on saltwater but I would like to know some trusted brands and tricks to the trade.

Thanks,

Quartz92

Thank you for the link! I really hope I can do this before I have planned it for. Right now I think it's going to happen in about a 2 years time! But none the less more research and help please!

Better to research now, and know everything before you start than get started and realize you don't know something crucial.

Good luck and I hope you'll find some good information. :)

Any advice I noticed you have a nano reef? Could you tell me a bit more on how to upkeep on smaller aquariums and any other info?

Research research and more research is probably the best advice.

Smaller tanks essentially magnify any problems you'd have due to the size, so water quality is essential. However, with frequent water changes and a little more effort, it's working wonderfully. It's just a matter of staying on top of your tank and keeping an eye on anyting that would become problematic.

Better to research now, and know everything before you start than get started and realize you don't know something crucial.

yeah, like that the fish go in AFTER the water.

mainly just research. um mainly, lighting is the most important part of the tank. do you have anything in mind?

FLOWR, but I would like lights that will be able to help low light corals (if there are any, haven't done research on corals yet) so I can eventually get some experiance with corals as well. I am also hopeing to have some corals on my live rock when I buy it.

That was my initial plan as well. It's a good one. You get experience with the animals and also don't have to buy more pricey lighting.

The lighting you like would entirely depend on the corals you would like later. If you want to keep some of the easier corals. PC lighting is just fine. I have it, and everything I put in my tank seems to do fantastically. It's not as good as MH lighting but it certainly gets the job done.

Thanks for the advice! What does PC and MH stand for? Aslong as the lighting can help feather dusters im fine (thats what most live rock around here has on them)

Power Compact (compact fluorescent) and Metal Halide

As far as I can tell, feather dusters don't seem to care much about lighting as long as there is some. :)

"Place the worm as said in an area of light to moderate currents, and lower down on the reef particularly if the lighting is powerful. The worm hasn’t any need for lighting as corals have. A worm that is positioned in bright light could be slow to appear until it is accustomed to it."

They are like that but not circular, I will try to find out what they are called.

*EDIT* Do you have any ideas for starter corals?

i'm having a lot of luck with xenia (it grows like a weed. you can't kill it.), mushrooms, a plate coral and frogspawn. They're all doing extremely well in my tank. I've also heard that kenyan tree grows like mad.

Those look nice, do you have pictures of your set up I would love to see how it comes together. I really like the mushrooms and plate coral. The Kenya Tree and xenia looks neat to. I love the frogspawn.

I'm actually uploaded some to start a new thread as we speak.

I kill any plants that come near the house, so I'm shocked that corals are doing so well. If I can;t kill these, I doubt anyone can. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom