New saltwater enthusiast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArowanaAddict

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello have a question about keeping a saltwater aquarium. Would it be possible to run a 90 gallon reef with 2 powerheads, a protein skimmer and a HOB or canister filter? or would i have to get a sump? thank you for any advice

It's not a requirement to have a sump, but with a 90 gallon tank it'll be more difficult to keep your water parameters at a decent level if you ever decided to have SPS coral. I don't have a sump for my 75 which is just slightly smaller.

Yeah I have learned that in a folr tank a hob skimmer is okay but if you want to do coral you will want a sump with a protien skimmer placed in it. Just a heads up you will spend money because you will fid yourself needing other things likely an auto top off. I have heard that you should not use a canister filter because the will house nitrates and it could cause a problem. You will find that LR and your protien skimmer in the sump should be sufficient I recommend you get a sump large enough to have a refugium built into it or one that comes with a refugium but if you are pinched for space they make hob refugium just make sure your tank is a minimum of 5 in from the wall or you will kick your self later like me. I have to have my refugium custom made because my tank can't be moved. Live and learn. A refugium is Danm near a necessity from my research.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Let me put it this way, I house SPS and I don't have a sump on my 75 just be diligent with your water changes.

I want to keep more Sps .
I have a couple small frags of monti and acropora .
I just bought a Goniopora .
I also have a 75 with hang on skimmer and a eheim 2217 canister .
Water changes are most important

I grow acropora in a 20 with just current, a hob skimmer and chemi pure elite

Back
Top Bottom