Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
There's actually quite a few sw people that use canisters and hob filters. I haven't had any problems actually. I've had FW tank for about 4 years with no problems either. My SW tanks only been up about 5 months or so, but no hair algae or cyano problems so far!! (Fingers crossed) lol. I do 20% PWC every week, without fail. And I rinse all the media from the filter then. I also rotate changing out the foam in the filter, if its not a tan color after rinsing, I change it. I never do more than I foam at a time, though. Then I empty the water out of canister itself and take my blue scrubby and quickly wipe down the inside to remove any waste particles. Then i put it back together. Only takes about 10 minutes or so. I also have 3 PH (2-750gph and 1-500 gph) in my 55g, so plenty of flow, which I've read can help prevent cyano as well. So far it's worked out well for me. I don't have room for a sump cuz it's a corner tank, so I don't really have much of a choice as far as filters.
That's good to know. I am using live rock rubble in the filters for my tank as I have been told by quite a few people that's the way to go instead of using the media that came with the filters.
Glad to hear you haven't had any algae problems too. That's the one thing I was worried about. I will be getting 2 ph at 3000l per hour so that will help too.

It's not actually my first S/W tank we have a 100ltr 26g tank that uses a built in filter that has been set up for about 8 months now, that works fine but we do water changes every week off 25% but as of yet no problems.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, from what I've read, not over feeding, PWC and good flow are the best ways to prevent algae outbreak and cyano. I also have 2 conchs that keep my sandbed pretty clean, so I'm liking those creepy things!! Lol. Saw a post earlier about someone complaining that there Sand always had black stuff on it, and they figured out it was astrea snail poop. I thought "well I never have that and I have tons of Astraea, weird." Then later it was suggested to get a conch cuz they'll eat the poop!! Guess that explains why I don't have that!!! Haha

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
Yeah, from what I've read, not over feeding, PWC and good flow are the best ways to prevent algae outbreak and cyano. I also have 2 conchs that keep my sandbed pretty clean, so I'm liking those creepy things!! Lol. Saw a post earlier about someone complaining that there Sand always had black stuff on it, and they figured out it was astrea snail poop. I thought "well I never have that and I have tons of Astraea, weird." Then later it was suggested to get a conch cuz they'll eat the poop!! Guess that explains why I don't have that!!! Haha
Lol what are conch?

Yea well I won't be over feeding and with the ph and filters there will be more than enough flow.

That would make sense why you don't have dirty sand. That's what I like about this hobby you learn something new every day and you can never learn it all.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness

Lol what are conch?

Yea well I won't be over feeding and with the ph and filters there will be more than enough flow.

That would make sense why you don't have dirty sand. That's what I like about this hobby you learn something new every day and you can never learn it all.
Conch are snails which im actually goin to pick up one or two today
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Conch are snails which im actually goin to pick up one or two today
Oh right snails I thought it was some sort of fish lol. Are the good as clean up crew then?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

A new build yay seems like you've got things under control so far with Dan and girl. If I could put my 2 cents in there, you could save a lot of money by finishing off the rock with base/lace rock since you already got roughly 30lbs of live. Also while you are still in the scaping phase consider this, the less footprint your rock structure has the less debris build up you will see so using a few large base pieces as feet for the main structure will really help flow and give you more sand bed/real estate for corals if you go that route which so you plan on going reef?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
A new build yay seems like you've got things under control so far with Dan and girl. If I could put my 2 cents in there, you could save a lot of money by finishing off the rock with base/lace rock since you already got roughly 30lbs of live. Also while you are still in the scaping phase consider this, the less footprint your rock structure has the less debris build up you will see so using a few large base pieces as feet for the main structure will really help flow and give you more sand bed/real estate for corals if you go that route which so you plan on going reef?
Hi and thanks for you input it's much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the rock? Are you saying to use a few big pieces of rock on the bottom and build the rest on top sort of like a Column to save space on the floor? Will I need to drill the rock and rod it to stop it falling over?

Sorry if that's a dumb question lol?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness

Hi and thanks for you input it's much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the rock? Are you saying to use a few big pieces of rock on the bottom and build the rest on top sort of like a Column to save space on the floor? Will I need to drill the rock and rod it to stop it falling over?

Sorry if that's a dumb question lol?
Not at all lol.. it really depends on the rocks. This early in your setup before you have anything to kill haha is the perfect time to build an amazing structure especially with the depth of that tank. To build it you can use multiple techniques such as epoxy, drill and rod as you mentioned, or just good old fashioned stacking if your skilled at that ... Some of the nicest scapes I've seen they use nice columns or rock to raise the structure giving the floor many large caves for fish. One tank I've seen that took it to the extreme and is absolutely astonishing is on YouTube, search rocky mountain reef. You'll know when you find it and I may grab a link for you in a second lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here it is.. some of the best columns I've seen and once coral fills it in gives it a beautiful full look.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Not at all lol.. it really depends on the rocks. This early in your setup before you have anything to kill haha is the perfect time to build an amazing structure especially with the depth of that tank. To build it you can use multiple techniques such as epoxy, drill and rod as you mentioned, or just good old fashioned stacking if your skilled at that ... Some of the nicest scapes I've seen they use nice columns or rock to raise the structure giving the floor many large caves for fish. One tank I've seen that took it to the extreme and is absolutely astonishing is on YouTube, search rocky mountain reef. You'll know when you find it and I may grab a link for you in a second lol.
Oh right sounds cool I will have a look, I understand what you mean now lol.

Tags
salt, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com