New Saltwater set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have decided to go marine in one of my tanks. I previously had an oddball tank but got board with it. So I sold all the fish transferred my discus over to the oddball tank and have now set up the old discus tank as marine.
The tank is 75g I will be using external filters as filtration. I have a fluval e300 series heater. I need to buy some power heads (not sure what size or make) I have a uv steriliser it's a vecton v25. I will need a skimmer soon but again not sure what to buy. The reason for running externals is that the tank unit will not accomadate a sump and the tank is not drilled and I don't want to risk of drilling it myself.

image-4236093282.jpg

That's the tank! Filled it today and put 15kg of live rock in. It's a start but far from where I want to go with it.

As for fish I was thinking 2 x Clarke clowns 1x flame angel 1 x copperband butterfly fish and 1 x fussy dwarf lion fish along with a few gobies and some turbo snails and maybe some crabs.

I realise some of the above have to go into an established tank but I'm in no rush to stock it.

Does anyone else use externals to run their marine tanks? What experiences have you had with them good or bad?

Aww it looks good even tho you have next to nothing in there lol what are the dimensions of that tank? Looks like a Cube sorta lol

DanS180 said:
Aww it looks good even tho you have next to nothing in there lol what are the dimensions of that tank? Looks like a Cube sorta lol

Dimensions are 36" x 18" x 26" and yea it does look rather empty lol. Got to start somewhere tho hey.

Guinness said:
Thought you already had it set up or are you upgrading to a 90g?

Nah I don't even have the tank yet lol won't be set up for a few months, and I'm downgrading from my 180G lol

DanS180 said:
Nah I don't even have the tank yet lol won't be set up for a few months, and I'm downgrading from my 180G lol

Yea I remember you saying you had sold the 180g or was selling it but I thought you had a S/W tank set up.

Guinness said:
Yea I remember you saying you had sold the 180g or was selling it but I thought you had a S/W tank set up.

Yeah I have a 29G set up right now.. but I'm also gonna be doing a 90G in the near future :)

DanS180 said:
Yeah I have a 29G set up right now.. but I'm also gonna be doing a 90G in the near future :)

Fair play, it's exciting setting up new tanks I get a real buzz from it. It's like having a new toy to play with. I will keep updating the pic of the tank as it takes shape, it won't be a quick process as money is tight at the moment.

Guinness said:
Fair play, it's exciting setting up new tanks I get a real buzz from it. It's like having a new toy to play with. I will keep updating the pic of the tank as it takes shape, it won't be a quick process as money is tight at the moment.

I hear ya, That's why we create "build threads"

Not everyone has the dough to put it together in a few days hahaha

DanS180 said:
I hear ya, That's why we create "build threads"

Not everyone has the dough to put it together in a few days hahaha

Lol I defiantly don't have that sort of cash. Wish I did tho there is so much I want to buy. But then saying that if it takes me ages at least I will appreciate it more lol.

Guinness said:
Lol I defiantly don't have that sort of cash. Wish I did tho there is so much I want to buy. But then saying that if it takes me ages at least I will appreciate it more lol.

Ya got that right lol my 90 is probably gonna take me 6-12 months to set up

Guinness said:
Yea it's a long process but well worth it!

Definitely, well ill let ur thread get back to it lol I have no experience wit external filters on SW tanks bc I only have the 29g with the HOB filter/Skimmer... hopefully someone will chime in n give ya a hand

DanS180 said:
Definitely, well ill let ur thread get back to it lol I have no experience wit external filters on SW tanks bc I only have the 29g with the HOB filter/Skimmer... hopefully someone will chime in n give ya a hand

Yea hopefully. Cheers anyway. Keep checking in to see how it's going lol. (Slowly)

Guinness said:
That's the tank! Filled it today and put 15kg of live rock in. It's a start but far from where I want to go with it.

As for fish I was thinking 2 x Clarke clowns 1x flame angel 1 x copperband butterfly fish and 1 x fussy dwarf lion fish along with a few gobies and some turbo snails and maybe some crabs.

I realise some of the above have to go into an established tank but I'm in no rush to stock it.

Does anyone else use externals to run their marine tanks? What experiences have you had with them good or bad?

Hi! I use a Fluval 406 on my 55g along with a hob Aqua C remora S skimmer. It works great for me. You'll need a filter rated for twice the size of tank though for SW.

Congrats on getting your first SW tank set up! You seem to have quite a few pieces of rock in there, but personally I would rearrange the rocks a little so that there are some caves and crevice for the fish to swim through and hide in. If the fish can't hide, they get stressed out. And stressed fish=sick fish. Some of the rocks look to be fairly decent size, try turning them on their side or standing up to create caves. Not much else to do during the cycle, might as well play with rocks. :) lol Good luck!

Beengirl said:
Hi! I use a Fluval 406 on my 55g along with a hob Aqua C remora S skimmer. It works great for me. You'll need a filter rated for twice the size of tank though for SW.

Congrats on getting your first SW tank set up! You seem to have quite a few pieces of rock in there, but personally I would rearrange the rocks a little so that there are some caves and crevice for the fish to swim through and hide in. If the fish can't hide, they get stressed out. And stressed fish=sick fish. Some of the rocks look to be fairly decent size, try turning them on their side or standing up to create caves. Not much else to do during the cycle, might as well play with rocks. :) lol Good luck!

Hi and thanks for your input. Nice to know someone else uses external filters on there S/W set up.

I am running a Eheim 2226 external which Is rated at 400-500ltr and the fluval 305 which is rated at 300ltr so I think with both running it should be enough. The rocks in the pic are just the base I have used them as a building block, I will be adding more soon and will set them out making sure fish can get in amongst them to hide and play. This will be done before adding fish.

How long have you been using external filters for with your S/W. I have heard that you can get algae growth and synobacteria problems from using this method. What problems have you experienced if any?

There's actually quite a few sw people that use canisters and hob filters. I haven't had any problems actually. I've had FW tank for about 4 years with no problems either. My SW tanks only been up about 5 months or so, but no hair algae or cyano problems so far!! (Fingers crossed) lol. I do 20% PWC every week, without fail. And I rinse all the media from the filter then. I also rotate changing out the foam in the filter, if its not a tan color after rinsing, I change it. I never do more than I foam at a time, though. Then I empty the water out of canister itself and take my blue scrubby and quickly wipe down the inside to remove any waste particles. Then i put it back together. Only takes about 10 minutes or so. I also have 3 PH (2-750gph and 1-500 gph) in my 55g, so plenty of flow, which I've read can help prevent cyano as well. So far it's worked out well for me. I don't have room for a sump cuz it's a corner tank, so I don't really have much of a choice as far as filters. :)

Back
Top Bottom