Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
New Saltwater Setup

Hi, i have a 28.5 gallon aquarium. It is actually a very strange size. It is 60 inches long X 12 inches high X 9.5 inches deep.
I would like to know the equipment that i should get for this tank. I would like to have FOWLR but eventually i would like some type of coral. I'm pretty sure that lighting would be easy for this tank, but i would like suggestions. Also, what filter do i need, if any, besides live rock? would a canister designed for freshwater work or do i need a special one?
One last thing. I've heard that you cant keep live rock if the tank has had copper in it. Before i had the tank, the person i got it from had cichlids, with marbles as a substrate. Then i had a leopard gecko in it with sand.
would any of those things leave copper behind? If so, what do i do to get rid of it?
thanks in advance

sir_dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
45 lbs of LR and a decent skimmer would be all the filtration you would need on this tank. Because the tank is shallow you should have no problem lighting it. A 48" 2x65w CF will allow you to keep some soft corals and LPS. Nothing you mentioned should have left copper behind, but do wash it thoroughly with a light bleach solution and rinse well.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, what kind of live rock should i use. Where can i get it cheapest, besides ebay.
and are there any ways to take the rocks (i think they are dead rocks?) that are cheap and then turn them into live rocks? And i would like to use sand. Which kind? live? nonlive?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
sir_dudeguy a lot of people in here would tell you to go with liverocks.com but the shipping cost is just to high. they do have the best rocks around. me i bought my LR from my LFS s.

We did it slowly.. like 20lbs every two weeks. keeps us updated
65 Gal Marine
60lbs of LS and 100lbs of LR
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Heya, you NEED to post some pictures of this tank, it is VERY unique sounding and I for one am very interested in seeing it!!!!

Today is a good day, at least it was last time that I checked, haha...

nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:10 AM   #6
I'm a newbie to this as well but I recommend you use live sand. Don't forget to use live rock in the cycling phase otherwise it will take a lot longer. It took me 4 weeks to cycle with 2 damsels and live sand. liverocks.com does have very cool live rock and when I calculated the total cost for me, it came about to the same as if I had bought from my LFS. Only thing is though my LFS's liver rock doesnt look very live and it's plain in color. But that probably varies from store to store.

Anyway, this is all the advice (if you can call it that) I can give. I just started so this is more like my own experience. I'm sure you can get much better advice on this forum.

Good Luck,

Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I am a newbie myself, but I would highly recommend looking at Liverocks.com Especially if the rock at your LFS is overpriced and bad. My LFS was selling Dead "live rock." for nearly 9 dollars a pound. I went to liverocks.com and got some of the best rock I have seen for a little over 5 dollars a pound. and that included shipping.

check out this thread to see pics of my rock on delivery: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30964
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The first thing I would do is to clean that tank. With epsom salts or vinegar. As for the copper. Check all old meds for contents.
As for filtration I would get a sump. You can either get the tank drilled at a local glass shop. or get an overflow box. There is a good article in the articles section called sumps explained.
A 30 gal tank can be challangeing. The sump would give you more volume of sw that would make the tank more stable, and therefore easier to maintain
Good luck
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Those are some strange dimensions! I'm not sure if it's big enough for a decent hob skimmer.. a sump would be a good idea.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
what would i need for powerheads? i know that i would need at least 300 GPH but how many. and do i use those for the sump? how would big would that be? and how much is the live sand?

salt, saltwater, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com