New Saltwater Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, i have a 28.5 gallon aquarium. It is actually a very strange size. It is 60 inches long X 12 inches high X 9.5 inches deep.
I would like to know the equipment that i should get for this tank. I would like to have FOWLR but eventually i would like some type of coral. I'm pretty sure that lighting would be easy for this tank, but i would like suggestions. Also, what filter do i need, if any, besides live rock? would a canister designed for freshwater work or do i need a special one?
One last thing. I've heard that you cant keep live rock if the tank has had copper in it. Before i had the tank, the person i got it from had cichlids, with marbles as a substrate. Then i had a leopard gecko in it with sand.
would any of those things leave copper behind? If so, what do i do to get rid of it?
thanks in advance

45 lbs of LR and a decent skimmer would be all the filtration you would need on this tank. Because the tank is shallow you should have no problem lighting it. A 48" 2x65w CF will allow you to keep some soft corals and LPS. Nothing you mentioned should have left copper behind, but do wash it thoroughly with a light bleach solution and rinse well.

Ok, what kind of live rock should i use. Where can i get it cheapest, besides ebay.
and are there any ways to take the rocks (i think they are dead rocks?) that are cheap and then turn them into live rocks? And i would like to use sand. Which kind? live? nonlive?

sir_dudeguy a lot of people in here would tell you to go with liverocks.com but the shipping cost is just to high. they do have the best rocks around. me i bought my LR from my LFS s.

We did it slowly.. like 20lbs every two weeks. keeps us updated

Heya, you NEED to post some pictures of this tank, it is VERY unique sounding and I for one am very interested in seeing it!!!!

Joshua...

I'm a newbie to this as well but I recommend you use live sand. Don't forget to use live rock in the cycling phase otherwise it will take a lot longer. It took me 4 weeks to cycle with 2 damsels and live sand. liverocks.com does have very cool live rock and when I calculated the total cost for me, it came about to the same as if I had bought from my LFS. Only thing is though my LFS's liver rock doesnt look very live and it's plain in color. But that probably varies from store to store.

Anyway, this is all the advice (if you can call it that) I can give. I just started so this is more like my own experience. I'm sure you can get much better advice on this forum.

Good Luck,

$imple

I am a newbie myself, but I would highly recommend looking at Liverocks.com Especially if the rock at your LFS is overpriced and bad. My LFS was selling Dead "live rock." for nearly 9 dollars a pound. I went to liverocks.com and got some of the best rock I have seen for a little over 5 dollars a pound. and that included shipping.

check out this thread to see pics of my rock on delivery: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30964

The first thing I would do is to clean that tank. With epsom salts or vinegar. As for the copper. Check all old meds for contents.
As for filtration I would get a sump. You can either get the tank drilled at a local glass shop. or get an overflow box. There is a good article in the articles section called sumps explained.
A 30 gal tank can be challangeing. The sump would give you more volume of sw that would make the tank more stable, and therefore easier to maintain :wink:
Good luck

Those are some strange dimensions! I'm not sure if it's big enough for a decent hob skimmer.. a sump would be a good idea.

what would i need for powerheads? i know that i would need at least 300 GPH but how many. and do i use those for the sump? how would big would that be? and how much is the live sand?

Back
Top Bottom