New saltwater setup help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I just set up a saltwater tank in my 28 gallon euro bowfront last night. I have a filter, power head, heater, protien skimmer, crushed coral sand and saltwater. I used the filter cartrage I was using for freshwater to help the bacteria bloom quicker. The salinity in it right now is .019. I know I shouldn't add any fish to it for a couple of weeks but was wondering when I would be able to add some live rock to it. If anyone could help me I would be greatly apreciative. Thank you.

The fw filter media will do nothing so I would just remove it. Fw and sw bacteria are different . I would add the live rock as soon as you get the salinity right . The die off from the rock should start your cycle for you.

What would be an ideal salinity. And when I get it correct I CAN add livestock?

Well I work at a pet shop that deals with mostly aquatic life and can get it tested tonight. If everything tests good and I get my salinity up to par that's when I add live rock? How many pounds of live rock do you recommend for a 28 gallon bow front and how do I tell if it is cured or not? Thank you.

Since your tank still has no fish it doesn't matter if the rock is cured or not because it will cure during the cycle. It's usually 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. You can also do what many people do and use a mix of base and live rock. I used 220 lbs of base rock and 2 lbs of live rock on my tank. It all becomes live in the end.

Ok the live rock at the pet shop I work at is $6 a pound is that reasonable? There is no othe place around that sells live rock. But I could get it online if you think that price is way to high.

Back
Top Bottom