New Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip0204

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 45 gallon freshwater tank for a year now. I’m interested in getting a saltwater tank started. The fish in the 45 are moving to a 55 gallon tank. The 45 gallon tank is what I want to use for the saltwater tank. However before doing so I have some questions. First I want to re do the (sidings) silicon and make sure it is in top shape. The tank is about 8 years old and has had water in it since then. Any way of going about this? The tank is a vertical hexagon. I’ve read that once established you can use LR as a filter and have a protein skimmer running. Now besides having a heater for it is there other matinannce items needed such as filter? What lighting do I need for the LR and anemones (3) the livestock I would like to get is a pair of clownfish and a cleaner crew minus maybe the starfish not too sure about them. However, I do not want a ton of fish for awhile until I obtain a bigger tank. Any suggestions on feeding the anemones and clownfish? I think the clownfish are suppose to either bring food back or eat in their anemones and that's how they obtain food however if I'm wrong please correct me. Plus having 3 of them I don’t think they all would get their fair share of food. I know the process take awhile. LR running for a about a month and checking the numbers. Then after a month I plan on establishing the anemones and clean up crew. Then about another month getting the clownfish. Does that timetable seem reasonable? This project won’t be taking place for another 1 -2 years however I would like to get the basic down before going into it. Thanks for the help.

I`ll answer the lighting question. It really depends on what your tank is going to be. Is this going to be a FOWLR tank or a reef. I see you plan on an anenome. Most of them need high lighting. MH`s or T5`s. Give us a little more info on what`s the main plan for your tank.

Well Mike that's about it Like i said it's a 45 gallon vertical tank. I plan on using sand substrate with something under it (fertilizer of some sort not plant stuff but something so plants other things can use) LR built up in the middle of the tank. 3 anenomes on on top of the LR maybe one at the bottom or on the side just depends. couple of plants maybe some Zoo although i have not really read up on too much about corals just anenomes and the clownfish. and then have a cleaner crew but I dont think I want the starfish unless there's a value to having them. I've just heard they aren't reef safe and eat darn near anything they can I just didnt see the point in getting them if they will destroy stuff. Other than that.... thats all I really want in the tank. Now down the road Id like to get a 120 gallon rectangle tank and move the stuff from the 45 into it and purchase new fish such as tang but thats years and years down the road after this project is successful.

If I may make a suggestion.

The 45g tank you have is going to be a bit difficult in terms of a "reef" tank. They are typically tall and that creates issues with lighting. Also the shape causes flow issues and you are going to need both good lighting and good flow.

I would keep the FW fish in the 45 and use the 55 as a SW tank. You will have many more options going this route.

Anemones: I would suggest only one anemone in either the 55 or the 45. Anemones should be added after the tank is 8-12 months old. They require strong lighting (I suggest MH, T5's will work but MH is better) and lots of flow.

Live rock: For what ever tank you set up you are going to want 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon of water. A mix of base rock (dry "dead" rock) and live rock will work. I say 10-20% live rock and the rest base. By doing this you will save a lot of money on your rock.

What ever you decide to do take things slowly and research before you buy anything. Each purchase you intend to make should be checked out and learned about before hand.

thats good advice I never heard 8 to 12 months. and yes I agree the vertical tank is not the best set up. However, I wanted something that has more room to swim around for my pleco. Although 55 is also a lil cramped for him...

oh as far as the LR concern... I knew about the 1.5 pound thing per gallon but you suggested using dead rock at the bottom? any reason behind that? Im just curious. Also using LR as the filter and having a protein skimmer is that enough? I read your comments on all the saltwater posts and you sound like you know exactly waht youre doing so any advice from you is GREAT

The reason behind the 8-12 month is the stability of the tank. During the first year your tank is going to go through changes and will mature. You don't want to put an anemone in a new tank. They don't tolerate changes very well. Also it gives you time to get over the "new tank syndrome".

Base rock is a lot cheaper then LR and it will become live rock over time. You will still need to get some LR but you don't have to spend the money to get all LR.

I have about 250lbs of LR in my tank and another 100 or so lbs in my sump/fuge. I run a skimmer and off and on I will run carbon just to polish the water. I run my carbon in a phosban reactor. Regular PWCs, enough LR and a skimmer are pretty much all you need to filter your system. I like using a refugium to help battle excess nutrients, they have many benefits to a reef tank but that is another topic.

Just a note regarding the "fertilizer" comment a few threads back. SW tanks don't need - and don't want - any type of fertilizer. The corals and whatever macro algae you decide to put in will draw their nutrients from the water column. With a reef tank, you strive to keep all fertilizers (intentional and unintentional) out of the system.

Regarding a sump/fuge - it isn't necessary, just a matter of personal choice. If you have the space available, a sump is nice in that it increases your water volume and allows you to put heaters/skimmers/filters/etc in the sump and get them out of your main tank.

Is it necessary. Hmm...There is a pretty good debate in there somewhere I believe.

I think they are very important and I would not have a reef tank without a sump and fuge. The sump is a place to hid all your heaters and probes as well as a place for your skimmer and media reactors if you use them. Another big benefit is the added water volume to your system. "Dillution is the solution to polution.."

The fuge can either be a part of the sump or a stand alone tank.

My system is set up with multiple sumps. I have a 120g main display tank a 55g frag tank and 3 sumps. All of this is one system.

I have a main sump that has my return pumps and my skimmer. I also run my phosban reactor (with carbon) in this sump. I have a second smaller sump that has a rubble rock tower for added filtration. My third sump is actually the refugium. I used a 20g tall glass tank for my fuge. It has a MDSB (medium deep sand bed) about 30lbs of LR and TONS of macro algae. All of these sumps and tanks are plumbed together. It's not as complicated as I may have made it sound.

lol I would hope so and like I said before my expertise would be in freshwater aquariums so when i said fertilizer i did not know thank you for the catch. if i were to go with that strong lighting as pointed out earlier would the 45 gallon tank still be ok with some powerheads running to circulate the water?

The depth is the issue. The lights would not be able to penetrate that deep. You would have to go with MH lights and then you would have to add a chiller to cool the water.

Yup... what thincat said. In a nutshell... with a deep tank for a reef you inherit a bunch of problems that you're going to fight, from day one.

heres a quick note... the tank i have is about 22 inches in height maybe a little less is that going to make a difference in opinions? I have a regular light on it now not sure its from 55 gallon tank but it came with the hood but i have plants growing now on the bottom of it and they are healthy and multiplying.

to give you an idea of lighting on a reef tank

I have a 120 as I mentioned. I have 2x 250w MHs 2x110w VHOs and 2x54w T5s on my tank. That is 828w of light on my tank. My 55g frag system has 570w of light on it 2x175w MH and 220w of VHO.

As I said before it is all up to you which tank you use for SW. I just think you will do better with the 55. Heck for that matter check craigslist for a 55 people are selling tanks all the time on there. I'm sure you could find a good deal.

20" is max for t-5 HO lamps, any deeper and you would need MH lights as I said above. What plants? Saltwater or fresh?

the 45 currently has freshwater plants and fish the reason i want to use the 45 instead of the 55 for a saltwater aquarium is because I have a pleco who would enjoy the rectangle shape and more room to swim in

the 45 currently has freshwater plants and fish the reason i want to use the 45 instead of the 55 for a saltwater aquarium is because I have a pleco who would enjoy the rectangle shape and more room to swim in

Keep the same things in mind for your reef tank. Smaller is more difficult to maintain.

If you are waiting a while to do this then I say save up and get that larger tank you mentioned. Personally I would not start with anything less then a 55g tank. Bigger is better and more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom