Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

is that the same with freshwater plants? the way they use nitrates?

Old 05-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it's food for all vegatation.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

[quote="ryguy"]
Quote:

There are other methods for nitrate control, the most popular being refugiums with planted macro's. The macro's will utilise the NO3 for growth, thus diminishing the levels and giving you O2 as a beneficial by-product.

What are refegiums and planted macro's??
So I can leave tank without fish thorugh cycle?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, i know that they have hang on refuge's (or fuges). They look pretty much like a hang on back filter, except they're quite a bit bigger. They also have a light on them, so that you can put macros in there. Macro is a type of algae...i think its kinda bushy lookin. Anyways, you put the macro in there, and when the water passes thru it, it takes in the nitrates. I think you also put live sand in the fuge too, but i dont have one on my tank (prolly gonna get one, but my nitrates are perfect right now) so i'm not sure about the sand part.

Quote:
So I can leave tank without fish thorugh cycle?
yes, you can leave it with fish through out the cycle. put a couple of those dead shrimp in there to jump start the bacteria growing. (i think you can take those out after about a week and a half or so, but i'd wait for someone else to chime in on that). Also, if you can afford it, definately get at least 10 lbs of live rock. If you have enough live rock, i've read that you probably wont see much of a cycle, but i dont know if 8 lbs is enough.

anyways, the first thing that will happen for your cycle is the amonia will go up...i think anyways...thats what happened on mine.

Then, once your rock and everything gets the bacteria goin (your amonia will probably go back to 0 at this point)...it breaks the amonia down to NITRITES. At this point, your nitrites go up, and, same as with amonia, they get broken down (and go back to 0) and turn into NITRATES.

Nitrates, as we've said before, (and i found out!!) are non-toxic to the fish, but could kill inverts, and when they die, they DO create problems because they make for poor water quality. However, if you have the hang on fuge, with macro in it, then you shouldnt have any nitrate problems.

once EVERYTHING goes back to 0 you're done! Although there will probably be a few nitrates still, but anything under 15, you dont really gotta worry, but anything above 20, you should check to see whats goin on.

sorry for the novel, but HTH
Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #15

Thanks for all the help guys. So do I need a protein skimmer. And if so which brand is good. I heard the Red Sea Prizm one is good.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a refugium as well as being a place to grow macroalgaes for nutrient export, also provides a place of refuge for pods to colonize. Pods is a simplified term given to amphipods, copepods and the like. Pods are food for several species of fish.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a skimmer is definetely a huge added bonus on any system. You could get by without on on a small tank, but it would require more frequent pwc's. Having a skimmer would be a smart move, IMO.

The prisms are alright. It will do the trick. If you want a better product, the aqua-c remora is the go-to skimmer in my book.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ya, i've heard pretty bad reviews on the prizm, but then again, its gotta be better than nothing...same w/the seaclone, but i've heard there are a few modifications you can do to those to make them better. The aqua c remora is definately the go to one, as far as hang on skimmers go. If you were to get a sump, there are better, more expensive ones of course. Another good one (from what i've heard is the...aahhh...i'm thinkin coralife superskimmer? i know the second part is superskimmer, but i forgot who makes it! Right now, i'm gonna be trading my fluval to get a cpr bak pak, which have got some pretty good reviews.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:13 AM   #19

This is a pretty cheap skimmer. Should I buy or not??

Better to buy a cheap one or wait a couple of months and buy a good one.

There is just a huge price difference in skimmers.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...xt=skimmer&N=2
Old 05-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mmmm...i'd look in the classifieds part i think before i bought that...see if you can swing a trade for something better

Tags
new saltwater tank, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com