Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to einhaus
New Set of Lights, whats the PERFECT light cycle?

First off let me tell you about my setup:

94 Gallon Corner Tank with 100lbs of Live Rock, currently 6 fish (will be 14 total soon)....with hopes of adding a couple anemones and a couple corals (not heavy on the corals at all)

My lighting system is 36 inches wide and has the following bulbs:

96 Watt 10,000K Daylight
96 Watt Actinic blue lights
2 - 1watt Led Moon Light

My question is this: With the setup I am going for, what is the perfect light cycle? How many hours a day of each?

Someone told me I should leave start the actinic like an hour before the daylight, and then leave daylight and actinic on for 10 hours, then turn daylight off and leave actinic for another hour, and then leave moon light on for the rest of the time. Let me know what you guys suggest.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-29-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can leave your moonlights on for 24/7 if you want to. I have a similar setup using the Coralife 4x65w. I have actinics come on at 11:00am, the daylights come on at 2:00pm. Then the daylights go off at 10:00pm and the actinics go off at 11:00pm. I just got an MH, so I need to figure what kind of schedule I can add in the mix as well. I'm figuring coming on at 3:00pm and going off at 8:00pm..not sure yet.

Mike

Old 10-29-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is what i do...actinics come on at 11 am and off at 11 pm. 10,000K on at noon and off at 10 pm. Moonlights on 24/7. Honestly, 14 fish seems like a lot for a 90 gal. tank. What are your planning on? Plus you have around 2 watts/gal and that is really not enough light to support any corals and, for sure, any anenomes. Sorry, i hate to be negative, but I am being realistic. If you get a chance, post a pic of your ank. I love the looks of corner tanks! Good luck...Lando
Old 10-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to einhaus
Hey Lando

Thanks for the insight, I'll take some digi shots of my tank and make a gallery. I checked out your gallery, in my number 007 what is the thing that the clownfish is sitting in? My live rock spawned about 10 of those exact same things and they keep getting bigger.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The clown is in a rose bulb tip anenome.

Tags
cycle, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com