New Set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CubicGgW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,
My clownfish actually seem to have the same symptoms as yours. When i bought it from the LFS it seemed fine (Thursday) but once i introduced it to the tank, it started to show those symptoms for the past few days. Could it be the cause that my tank is only a newly built tank? I hope i didnt rush anything... because I bought the LR and LS from LFS and started the tank on the 5th and have my LFS check the water on the 9th which they said its fine so i introduced some cleaner crews and pair of clown fishs bought from www.fishsupply.com which one bied shortly after arrival and the other died 2 days after... so i went back to the LFS and have a water check again on 11th which they said my NH4 and NO2 are both not zero...

I split your post because the two are unrelated. You have basically just set up the tank and has not had time to properly cycle as yet. The clean up crew you purchased will not survive, the fish would be touch and go as well. NH3 and NO2 are lethal to inverts and will also kill fish if high enough. What you should do is return all the livestock or house with a friend if possible and as soon as possible.

Once done then you can let your tank properly cycle which will take anywhere from 4-8 weeks. Your tank has only been set up for 10 days and since NO2 is forming, NH3 will either just be peaking or just starting to fall. Either way you still have about 3-4 weeks at the earliest before it will be safe to add animals. I would also suggest adding some small amount of food twice a week to keep feeding the bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advice!
unfortunately, i dont know anyone around the area who has a SW tank... and returning the fish and cleaning crew isnt a possible mean since fishsupply.com won't take them back... but maybe i could try to ask the LFS to hold them for me, or would a quarantine tank work? since there might not be any alternative options for me...tia

one more thing as to the quarantine tank... wouldnt it needs to "cycle" through too? or i'll need to use some supplements? (i havent start a quarantine tank yet and i dont think i know the right way either...)
i was reading Todd's post on 10 gallon tank. i wonder if i could just do it for now untill the main tank is cycled?

You could easily set up a QT to temporarily house the animals until the main tank is at safer level. A simple 10 gal would be fine but be prepared to do some good water changes regularly. Test the NH3 and NO2 in the 10 gal daily to ensure it does not get high.

You can read about easy quarantine set up >>here<<

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom