New set up help, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieSr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I was thinking about starting a SW tank when I found this Ad.

FULL SALTWATER SET-UP, 125 GAL OCEANIC TANK, WITH OAK STAND. INCLUDES PRISM PRO SKIMMER, 2 EMPEROR 440 BIO WHEELS, 2 CIRCULATION PUMPS, 150 WATT HEATER, ALL CORAL SKELETAL DECORATIONS, ROCK, MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT, FROZEN FOOD, ETC, ALL INCLUDED. SYSTEM 2 YEARS OLD. MEDICAL CONDTIONS FORCED TO SELL.

Could anyone tell me what more I may need to complete my set-up?

under gravel filter, trickle filter maybe?

Thank You

You will need a bigger heater, a 150 W in 125 Gallons will not keep your tank at a constant temp in MN. (i am from southern MN) I didn't see any lights as well, lots of possibilities there. You will not need an UGF, but should maybe think about upgrading the current protein skimmer, to an in sump as i imagine you will have a sump with the tank.

You think the current skimmer get me by awhile. This set-up is running $800, and I cannot afford to put out a bunch more cash at this moment.

I called the guy and it comes with lights, lids the whole nine yards.

I also forgot welcome to AA :smilecolros:

yeah, the skimmer will get you by, it's just not very liked on here, hopefully it won't be as difficult as everyone says it is to get it to skim. $800 is a wonderful price for the tank and everything else, did he/she say what type of lights? Good luck, and have fun on the set-up...keep us posted.

If that's an Oceanic solid oak stand, that's an incredible price, but I'd still offer $600 and hope to settle at $700. Maybe he'd go for it. Good advice on the heater from Nels22. If you're planning a fish only tank, then you're almost there if you stock lightly. Looks like salt mix, sand and test kits might be needed. Hopefully, this won't scare you, but it might be good to prepare yourself for having to spend another couple hundred bucks to get up and running. Good luck.

All the test kits are included 15gal of mixed water and plenty enough salt to fill the tank completely.

How lightly do I need to stock it?

I'm not to sure what the tank will support.

Thank You

you are not going to want to stock the tank until it goes through the cycle again. the lr should make it through alright, and depending on how much comes with the set-up you might want to order a few more lbs....usually 1-2 lbs per gallon. A DSB is a good start with a lot of lr...patience is a key virtue in the hobby. You should worry about stocking your tank for atleast a month after you get it all set up. JMHO.

Hi, Welcome to the AA Forum!!! :D :D :D From one Minnesotan to another, you will need to get another heater. I would get a at least another 200 watt. heater and use them both. That way if one malfunctions, the other one will still keep the temp up a little bit. Is this your first SW tank? If so, the first thing I reccommend doing is buying a good book. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is a good one. I agree with OneBowl, offer $600 first. Does this come with fish?

Nels, what cycle? goes through the cycle?

This is my first SW tank.

Well dude told me if I would pay the $800 he would drive it up to me that was before he knew where I lived (an hour away).

Back
Top Bottom