New Set-up With Drilled Tank And Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reef maniac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 70 gallon Bow front Corner tank. Reef Ready. I got a 10 gallon sump, and I'm thinking its not enough in case of a power failure. And I remember last time i had a lot of problems keeping the air bubbles out. Have there been any advances on that in the last five years.?

Oh And I need a good reccomendation on a return pump. I have a 5' head and need to pump about 500gph through 1" pipe

Oh and a good protein skimmer... Thanks in advance!

And thinking of going FOWLR. still undecided. Just filled it with RO Saltwater tonight...

larger sump is always a better option, more room to work with, more room for backflow protection, etc. Depends on your stand (if that's where you're putting it) for what you can fit down there, but even a 20g tank is cheap if you can fit it.

FOr a return pump, look at the Mag7 or Mag 9.5 (depends on your plumbing, how many unions, elbows, etc) to get that flow rate.

Skimmers, I highly recommend the Octopus needle wheel line.

Also if you drill a small hole in your return line up top then it will break the vacuum and stop the back flow down to the sump.

Thats already been done for me. I guess they do that at the manufacturer... Getting extreme gurgling now!

Back
Top Bottom