New setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon5jt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 36gal bow front I used a fluval 206 with good results. my wife got me a used setup, 72gal with wet/dry with protein skimmer in open sump area. This is my first experience with this type of filtration, and I have some question. I have trickle plate then bio balls, and on the other side of the dividing wall skimmer and the return feed from a uv unit.
My water is three days in and it is cloudy, I am not sure how to clear up my water. Should I be using additional media between the section with the bio balls and the sump with skimmer? Placing it at the base of the separating wall which draws the water passed the media?
I am use to a canister and I could add media to adjust water conditions.

Help please!

It's normal the water is cloudy for the firsts days. It's usually the sand that color the water this way. You can remove suspended particles with a cheap power HOB filter.

I'm not sure for reef tanks, but it may be bacterial bloom !?! If it's the case, then it's probably a sign you have ammonia in the water, and the bacterias are starting to act fighting it, it's a good sign of cycle in progress.

Keep waiting, what's your ammonia/nitrites readings ?

Ammonia is 0. Nitrates 20ppm, nitrites 0.25 ppm, water hates become clearer. I have adjusted the air flow on the skimmer as well. Should I expect a change for the better in my chemistry on its own or should I do a water change?

You need to let the tank cycle. We have an article about it in our sw articles section. Only thing to worry about during the cycle is ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Ahhh, that's good readings, except nitrates, they are so high... I would recommand you do a 50% WC at least with RODI water before you introduce live stock, this will be your only occasion to drop nitrates in one shot that much. Maybe a 70% WC... Because later you won't be able to do more than 5-15% WC/week...

Or you may have huge hair algae issues later...

In this time you can ajust water parameters, I mean, Ca,KH,Mg, but it's not necessary if you used good branded sea salts.

I have retested and at this point everything looks to be good nitrates are down to a good level. I am thinking I made an error during the prior test. Ifl they creep up again I will do 50% water change, right levels look good. The water is much clearer now Saturday will be one week for the cycle. Next I will add a couple of damsels, and see how things progress.

Thank for your thoughts on these issues.

Back
Top Bottom