Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...ontroller.html

Wow! Gotta learn how to make those links shorter. I'm sure one of my cyber buddies can help me. Anyway, this is the top-off unit I use. Though I'm running a sump/refugium. Also, I'm not familiar with the sump you're using, but if it's got/uses bio-balls, I'd say do some more considering. I've heard folks replace'm with rock rubble 'cause the balls can harbor extreme nitrates after time I've read (from folk's comments over the years).

Of course, with this top-off unit you've gotta have a fresh water source. Any room under or behind (another room???) for a FW reservoir? Doubt whether any is under.

Yes the return pump and skimmer pump are two distinct/different things. Find a pump calculator ( I belive Reef Central has one). It'll allow you to calculate that exact pump -Mag 9.5, estimate head loss (from pump, up to outlet/tank) and know what your turnover rate is. Reef tanks shoot for 6 to 10 to 15x turnover (total gph flow from main pump/95g - in your case). I've got Mag 12 on a 155g tank, so I guess I'm getting about 7x or so. I've heard of many reef tanks with 10x or more.

Then, the powerhead's gph (total, when more than one is used - which I would)/95g gives you circulation rate. You go a lot higher there. I've got twin Tunze 6065's and multicontroller and love it. Then again, I can't really crank'm up past 50-60%. Maybe I wasted money. Check into those that Roka64 recommended too maybe. Look into a pair of whatever you get and a multicontroller - if you go Tunze.

On that lighting again, I'm assuming with a wave design, there would not be a canopy, so that helps the temp issue. Will the lighting sit on the edge of the tank?

I had a PC lighting on a 72g that sat on the side edges of the tank. All else open at the top. I evap'd about 5g a week. With the 3x150 MHs and 4x96 PC I've got now in a canopy, I lose 3-4 gallons a day, so a reservoir was critical to me. May not be as much for you, but you wann try to maintain that salinity level as best you can. Some folks simply carry a bucket of FW to their sump daily. No big deal. Its was for me - even with my 72g. I didn't like it every day. Now I just fill up once every 10 days or so.

Heck, I've even heard of folks hooking directly to the RO/DI somehow for top-off. Can't help you there - and of course it depends on proximity.

Anyway, keep us posted.

Don't see the use of the UV in the QT. Not saying it shouldn't, but I don't think it's most useful there.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Also check out some of these neat calculators. They may help with some of your planning.
http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

I agree on the chiller thing. Wait. Plus, that's a whole lot of power consumption and it takes up space.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh
I should check out that Aragamax sand, btw how much sand would I need to cover about 1'' of the 95g tank? the tank is tall, so the area is about 48''x22''? 270lbs sounds like alot, how big is your tank? 125g?
Yep, I have a 125. I used that calculator and ended up buying
too much sand. I think I have 2 unused bags and ended up with about a 5 inch sand bed.
As for the lighting and a chiller. I solved my heat issues with a floor fan. My tank was running at about 83ish with the lights on. I put a floor fan on the same timer as my lights and my temp stays around 77-78.
I agree with Lance about the dual heaters. I have two in each tank, for redundancy.
One othe thing you might want to invest in is a Ultra-Ground Titanium Probe .

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

How about Reef Central's sand bed calculators then? Good one for pumps too.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey guys. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. That was one heck of a day for me both at work and at home... I dont think I will be able to digest all your comments tonight, but tomorrow I will do some more calculations and will see what I can come up with.

So, anyway, I came back home late tonight to find out that my LFS called me to notify of my new tank arrival. About a week earlier than planned! So I ran out to pick it up. Good news: I got a great aquarium, not so good news: I got nothing else for it yet. But anyway, one step at a time...well three steps. Here's the promised photos:

-EDIT-
Great... attachments added in the reverse order. Well, start looking from the bottom up. Next time this will be taken into consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22_809.jpg (84.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 18_143.jpg (88.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 12_122.jpg (81.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 10_128.jpg (119.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1_117.jpg (86.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #16
Sliced Bread

Looks great, congrats!

These guys have some great advice, don't they?

Just make sure they save some for me.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

While you're waiting for more stuff, look up the Durso Standpipe DIY. Basically, it'll raise the point at which the overflow water enters the pipe to go to the sump. Less noise. If I didn't 'splain it well, the site will.

You'll probably also end up pointing at least one of those flex hoses more towards the middle or larger end of the tank. Can get more out of them than both being at the small end like they are in the pic.

After you plumb the skimmer, UV (if so). etc, you'll want to turn'm all on (tank filled with FW) to further check for leaks again IMO.

At this point (when I had mine at your stage), I put a heavy coat of polyurethane (brushed) on the floor and walls of the inner cabinet areas of mine, There's gonna be a lot of water activity down there and I feel it'd help. Spills, leaks (hopefully not), drips, etc.

Also, consider the UV. could mount it on the "ceiling" of the inner cabinet. Pump up from the sump and fall back down. Keeps the UV out of my way for me. So, consider that and see if you need to mount before the tank is permanently placed.

Before you fill that bad boy, carefully consider how far away from the wall you can stand it. Down the road you may have to get back there to service something, somehow. Even better, you could always put a HOB fuge back there. Although the ones I've seen/used are no more than 5g I believe, still a nice place to cultivate pods and macro algaes, or critters for that matter. Having room to see'm (away from the wall a bit) sure helps.

Anyway, looking good.

How's the electrical supply on that wall? I ended up putting a dedicated 20amp, 4 plug box behind mine in addition to the normal, dual 15amp already there. Maybe overkill, but once I considered lighting, pumps, sensors, etc, etc, seemed the right thing to do. So, maybe take inventory of your electrical now. Count every plug from every device. Consider hanging power strips behind the stand - the top strip, just below the tank, facing the wall.

Ooh, one more thing. Consider that you'll likely have timers for lights (at least two - dayight and actinic, maybe more depending on you lighting choice), maybe 2 fans - if you go MH. Make sure you have room in the grand electrical scheme. If you use the dial type, they take up more room than a standard plug-in.

Sorry to overload. In a talkative mood I guess.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Oh, man that is one sweet looking tank!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
I have the same tank (same color stand too) and love it. You have been given some very good advice here so I do not have too much to comment on. I use a Pro LCear 150 so I can offer info on the sump. First, make sure the 200 will fit in your stand. The doors are not too wide so make sure you can get it underneith there. Second, Pro Clear makes a decent product but some modification will certainly help in a reef application. I recommend removing the bioballs and tray they sit on and filling the chamber with LR rubble instead. I have some pics in my gallery of my sump with the LR rubble in it. It makes for a far superior filtration media. The difference is that the LR rubble should stay fully submerged in water, where as the bioballs have water "trickle" over them (hence the wet/dry term for the filter).

Sounds like you are starting off on the right foot. Good planning and your equipment list looks pretty good. I agree that 2 250watt MH lamps with some sort of actinic suppliment will be a better option for this tank. ALso, I would consider using a different salt mix. I have heard of Ph and PO4 issues with IO...just a thought. Good luck with the set up and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

lando: Thanks for the input. I looked at your sump, it seems you got a built-n skimmer in there. how is it working out for you?
I've heard too many times people talking about replacing bioballs with LR rumble. So I guess this is what I am going to do as well. Isnt 150 abit small for that tank? or is it because you got a built in skimmer. I'm gonna try to go with 200 unless there is no way it will fit inside the cabinet.

austinsdad: great advice on polyurethan, I will do that. Got to do some power calculations as soon as I figure major components. I have 15amp outlet on that wall, I can bring alot more from the garage below if needed.

roka46: Thanks! I love it too.

neilanh: They sure do. But I'm sorry, First come first served

Tags
new setup, reef, reef tank, setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com