Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I make my own frozen food,there's a good thread here about it. I also feed nori and a peeled seedless grape as a treat for my tangs.
There's nothing wrong with the flake or pellets, I just like knowing what im feeding. And it's cheaper. I also keep a pair of mollys in the sump they breed like crazy and add a food source to the tank.

@ Callen that's a built in over flow Which means your tank is Reef ready, it's set up for a sump

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
Didn't finish last post. Mine has one. It's made of black plastic. It has a J shaped tube inside and two nozzles that come out through the glass in the bottom of the tank. I think this is where 2 hoses attach from the pump down below. I don't think I see anything like that in your tank. Not having one sure leaves a lot more room for fish, rocks, corals, etc.

Obviously there area my different configurations, but this has me wondering what is best

BTW. I like your setup so far . Can't wait to see what grows in there!
A built in overflow would be so cool! Mine hangs on the side. It prevents if the power shuts off to the pump that all your water in your tank doesn't flow into the sump & all over your house! The water leaves the DT (display tank) via suction/siphon/gravity, there's no electricity involved. Only a certain amount of water can enter the overflow area & if no more water is pumped back in to the DT to keep it *flowing over,* then no more water flows down to your sump which wouldn't be able to hold that volume of water. Mine has about 1" slats at the top of the overflow box, but it really is about .5"-1/4" of water from the top of the tank--I'm thinkin 5-10 gals of water?? I've never done the math. It amazes me, yet makes sense. Would that be Physics?? I received a 100% on my Physics final in high school. Anyway, if you removed the overflow box, which I could in my case, the water would continually flow down into the sump & flood the place (at least until it got to the bottom of my tube that loops up & over the edge which is about 6"?? That's be A LOT of water!!). HTH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I make my own frozen food,there's a good thread here about it. I also feed nori and a peeled seedless grape as a treat for my tangs.
There's nothing wrong with the flake or pellets, I just like knowing what im feeding. And it's cheaper. I also keep a pair of mollys in the sump they breed like crazy and add a food source to the tank.

@ Callen that's a built in over flow Which means your tank is Reef ready, it's set up for a sump
Mollys?! Wow, that's a cool idea. Also I had no idea Mollys could handle the salinity, maybe there are different breeds of Mollys. Guppies breed like crazy too!! I have like 30+! And am constantly re-homing them. Couldn't bring myself to purposefully feed them to my fish though :\

Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some cool info, thanks guys!!

While we are on topic of sumps and overflows.

I have a 20 gal long just sitting empty in my guest room (it was initially supposed to be an aggressive freshwater tank but we've had a hard time finding a good local freshwater source. Lol. That's how we ended up with this new setup)

Anyways. I'm itching to do something with this tank.

I am initially thinking of starting it as a basic salt fish tank for now and eventually turn it into a sump for the 100/200 gal we plan to get next year.

So with that in mind, If you had a 20 gal long just sitting there what would you do with it??
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also. We tested salinity this morning and it looks like we are at just 1.016/17
What the best way to bring that up to 25?!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Add salt to raise it and use the ten gallon as a sump for your 75
Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I meant twenty
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll want raise the SG slowly over time no more than .01 at a time best way is to top off with salt water till you get to 1.024 I say that because as the water evaporates it will cause the SG in the tank to rise.
The .024 will give you some room and wont hurt anything. I have an auto top off so my SG stays the same at 1.025
If your sure your going to upgrade I'd use the 55 as a sump The 20 wont add a lot of volume 10-12 gal at most Better to use it as quarantine/hospital tank

@ Tango yea i didnt know it either i seen some a my LFS (they do the same thing) it took me around 3 weeks to acclimate them to my SG They wanted $2.99 for fresh water mollys and $25.00 for a pair of salty's They've been in my sump for two years now

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You'll want raise the SG slowly over time no more than .01 at a time best way is to top off with salt water till you get to 1.024 I say that because as the water evaporates it will cause the SG in the tank to rise.
The .024 will give you some room and wont hurt anything. I have an auto top off so my SG stays the same at 1.025
+1 Much harder on stock to raise salinity on them than lower it, go slowly.

Quote:
@ Tango yea i didnt know it either i seen some a my LFS (they do the same thing) it took me around 3 weeks to acclimate them to my SG They wanted $2.99 for fresh water mollys and $25.00 for a pair of salty's They've been in my sump for two years now
Crazy!! Good to know! Maybe we can get in the biz of making Mollys saltys! HA!!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys! We got some more saltwater from lfs. They do keep it at 25 so we've topped off and will continue to until the sg comes up.
We also got angel and tomato clown out. Got a smal black and clown. Won't do any more fish at all in this tank.

Tags
new setup, setup, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com