Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New setup - Feeding & Lighting

I am glad to announce that in less than two weeks time my cycle seems to be completed and based on my LFS recommendations, I bought three damsels today and they have been doing quite well so far. I have the following questions:

Feeding:
Is once a day a good enough? To begin with I am going to give them only flakes.

Lighting:
I understand for a reef tank with corals, many suggest a 12 hour lighting. For a fish only tank, what is the right amount of lighting? Also when to use moon light (blue light) and when to use the white light? Is blue light used only for cosmetic purposes or is there any benefit to the fishes?

TIA

Old 02-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

how did you initialy cycle your tank?? most of the people on this site prefer to feed once every other day at the most.. tell us about your tank...

Old 02-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine is a 72G bowfront with 33g oceanic sump. I will try to add some pics later. I have about 65 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of base rock. I first filled the tank with freshwater Sunday before last. Last sunday I put about 25 lbs of lr and 30 lbs of base rock. Last Wednesday I added another 45 lbs of fiji lr. Thats alll I did. Actually I wanted to add a dead shrimp etc., but my lfs suggested that is not necessary. According to him, adding a dead shrimp or a dead fish can help a fish only system. This is not required for a LR system, since most of the bacteria comes from the LR, no additional steps necessary.

Let me know if you need to know any other specifics.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

did you test your parameters throughout the cycle?? did you have a spike of ammonia??
Old 02-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did not test throughout the cycle. After seeing many exchanges in this forum, I was kind of settled for one month cycle, so I thought I will test after three weeks. Last night I tested and it was 0.025.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

either you may have gotten lucky and had a short cycle or you may not have had enough ammonia to boost your cycle, hence you may not have had a cycle at all, of course it all may depend on the quality of the life on the live rocks... in an earlier post you mentioned you filled the tank with fresh water then added live rock, i am sure you added salt before you added the rock, i just wanted to verify this... HTH...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats right. I added fresh water first. then added live sand. then added salt and then added lr. Here is the chronology:

2/7 got my tank, cabinet etc. Put up the tank with fresh water to test for leaks.
2/8 filled the tank with 20lbs of ls and 20 lbs non-live sand. I added live sand with fresh water hoping to start the cycle. I did not add salt at this time.
2/10 mixed salt directly in the tank.
2/12 Got my first load of lr and base rock.
2/15 got another load of lr.
2/19 added fish.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

this may just be me but i feel that if you add fresh water to live sand it will kill off all the beneficial bacteria in the sand... but the live rock it may have worked for you... my advice would be to check your ammonia often and have some freshly mixed salt water for emergency water changes... HTH... Good luck!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I added fresh water to live sand out of ignorance. Later I added the salt let it aerate for two days and then added live rock. Later I added more live sand to this. Yes, I am constantly checking all parameters.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Where did you get the LR from?
Was it fully cured?
Please post all of your water parameters. It does not sound like your tank went through a complete cycle. If all readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are at zero and remain that way you may be ok if you slowly stock your tank.
As tjara03 said, keep some sw mixed and ready for PWC on a daily basis for now.
Are you sure you want to use 3 damsels to cycle your tank?
If they survive they can be a pain to remove later.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, light, lighting, new setup, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com