New Setup, New to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzyliz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I have keep a fw aquarium for almost 2 years now, and doing quite well with it. My partner has hinted at the idea of a new tank for me as a xmas gift. Only cause I have said hey I think I would love to try it. I might shoot myself for having said that. Anyways...I am looking to do a fish only tank and well.... what do I need??? I have some clues, I plan on putting down about 3" of sand and would luv some LR. As for the selection of fish no clue yet but will make sure they all play nice and probably will want to put some critters on the bottom to play.

Just would like some input as to what setup would be best, I got the hint that it will most likely be a 55gal tank With another hint that it will be built into a half wall going from our kitchen to living room.

I would like it to be as sucessful as my fw setup and appreciate any advice y'all could give.

Hi, Welcome to AA!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
You came to the right spot for help with your tank. The first thing you should do is go out and buy a good book on SW aquariums. I like Robert Fenner's "The Consciencious Marine Aquarist." Sounds like you would like a FOWLR to start. Have you thought about what type of filtration you are going to use? LR is the best form of biological filtration available. You can suplament that with some type of mechanical HOB filter if you want. However, 100lbs of LR and a good protein skimmer will be plenty of filtration for your tank. Add in 60lbs of LS and you should be good to go. Bare in mind that yourtank will need to go through the cycling process. This will take 4-6 weeks. You can use this time to start to research what type of livestock you would like to have. Best advice I can give is to research, research, research. Good luck and have fun! Lando

Tks for the getting started advise Lando. Well definitely gonna get a book or 3 or 4 hehehe. I do figure that if LR and LS and a protien skimmer would do the trick. Any recommendations on brands out there would be greatly apprectiated. I thought about a filter but from what i have read so far it doesn't seem necessary, but i don't mind a lil back up unless it's just tossing $$ away. I am trying to avoid hanging as much as possible on the tank since it will be in a wall between 2 rooms though I'd hate to take up too much room in the tank itself.. i can actually hang things on the sides, has anyone done this and what should i watch out for?

and with the skimmer....... will i still need to circulate the water as much or will i get enough of that from the skimmer since i am not doing a reef aquarium.

As for livestock really was looking at buying a steer next year but on the fishy side of it, keeping that open for right now...would like some bottom critters and or shrimps and a few of something colorful, that are basically ok in a community type setting, don't want to have a tank with just like one fish in it . I know reasearch research :)

questions...questions, my mind is a flutter with questions.... :D

2 years under my belt with a FW setup and and feel like such a newwwbie hehehehe

Tks again Liz

Everyone loves the AquaC skimmers (Remora, Urchin). Skimmers don't move a lot of water by themselves, so you probably want to invest in two MaxiJet 1200s to move water (in addition to the one on the Remora, and don't get the Rio pump for the skimmer, they're cheap but low quality)

For inverts, I can recommend a skunk cleaner shrimp. Hes my new favorite in the tank. Every time I put my hand in to stack rocks around my xenia coral so it doesn't ooze onto the big pieces of LR, he comes scurrying up and cleans my arms and hand. Doesn't hurt unless he tries getting under the fingernails 8O Makes me feel filthy :oops: . Hermits such as scarlets, blue legs, mexican red legs are also recommended ( have scarlets and blue legs in my tank).

I also like my red firefish. Thinking of adding a six-line wrasse. False Percs and perc clowns are also fun (and relativley hardy).

Back
Top Bottom