Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
new setup runthrough

OK i am brand new to the whole slatwater thing and still have not made my mind up on buying that huge tank that every true hobbyist has to have so i have thought about using a 30 gallon tank that i have laying around the house to use first. just to see if im going to be up to the task of a big tank. but im still confused on the cycling of a tank what is good for the fish what is bad for the fish? Also my plan was to get the water in there and sand and do the fishless cycle so i dont have to risk a fishs life. then iw as going to let it cycle and put one small fish in there to see if i can keep him alive. then iw anted to add 2 more descent sized fish but im not sure what kind yet. how much do you think it would cost and waht do i need to get this thing up and going??????

zach119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Welcome aboard. I was in a similar spot a couple of weeks ago when setting up my 23 gallon. I wanted to go with a smaller tank to see if I liked it and to get practice with water parameters. Go ahead and set it up with the water and sand. Drop a shrimp or 2 in there and put a power head in there for movement. If you plan on a fish only setup it wont cost too much. Be prepared for about a 3 week wait, sometimes longer. Monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. First the ammonia will spike and then drop as nitrites increase. Ammonia and nitrites must be at zero and maintaining for you to safely add a fish.
TXclownin' is offline   Reply With Quote

new setup, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com