Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

new site member

Hello A/A !!
I am a new salt water coral reef owner.I've recently inherited a selfcontained reef of approx. 100 gallon size and quite frankly I am somewhat intimidated by it.
In the past I've had numerous freshwater tanks which were quite spectacular in and of themselves.Throughout those days.....(building and upkeep of a freshwater)...being on the outside looking in I've heard some of the stories about how complicated a salty can be.
But it was die-ing were it was....and being as how I've helped break down and move this particular tank 3x's now since first seeing it at the ORIGIONAL owners house....along with me being the only available canidate who has any knowledge of fishtanks....well it just seems as though ME having it was meant to be.
So here I am.
As of right now theres only 2 clownfish living in it....along with the coral of course.But the ballist in the lighting system was allowed to go out so therefore it looks as though the tank is dead or die-ing.Algie has accumilated.....no grasses growing.(ugh!!)
At one time I saw this tank alive and thriving w/ snails and crabbs and damsels and all kindsa' stuff going on so I know that theres alot of potential. I just don't know where to begin and desparately hope to find a mentor or two or three here in this chatroom. My name Is Harry......my address is :nimagah@yahoo.com..................and I anxiously await any response and input I can get. Thankyou

Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Harry... Welcome to AA.. Glad you found Us... You;ve def come to the right place...

I've only been on the site a few months now as my SW tank is brand new. However, I've learned a lifetime of stuff here already and avoided most of the big mistakes made by newbies in this hobbie thanks to advice I received here.

So.. I'm def learning alot.. I'm pretty sure I know what the experts 1st piece of advice might be:

1) TEST YOUR WATER parameters and post the results here.
2) The Key to a healthy tank is Water maintenance.. So I would get going on Partial Water Changes (PWC) ASAP!
3) Get that Lighting fixed for the health of those Corals.
4) for specific Species advice you may need to post some pics of the corals and these guys will teach you how to care for them
5) Lastly. Could you explain what type of Filtration this tank uses?

Again..Welcome!

How am I doing guys?? Sound like a pro yet?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Frequent PWC`s and fixing the ballast should be the first order of business.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goisles1 View Post
How am I doing guys?? Sound like a pro yet?
I'm impressed!
-fellow newbie
Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow !! I'm Impressed w/the timely response !! Thank you !! ...... A coupla qiuck questions : "testing water parameters"- ????(whats that pertain to )?
PWC = removing say 1 gallon from the tank and replacing w/freshly made NEW water(??)...correct ?? (in doing this are there temperature issue ig. does the new HAVE-TO-BE the same temp. as the exsisting tank ??
As far as the filtering system......(I havent actually moved the tank yet.Tomorrow being saturday a few friends and I and the soon-to-be-former-owner will be breaking down to tank/separating the corals etc...and moving it all over here.)...I anticipate that I'll be getting a crash course on my tank pumps and filtering system.....SO I'LL BE ABLE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS...at that time.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Hey Harry,

Wow you're in big bear
Water Parameters means you should check for the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH and Salinity. If you have corals, you should check for more such as Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity. Go to LFS and get the Test Kit and test the water. The results are called the parameter.
PWC is not just a gallon, it's about 20-25% of your total gallon size and temperature has to be about the same. If you read the article in the Sticky topic in the Getting Started page, you should get the idea of what I was talking about.

I hope that helps
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Testing means - Use a Saltwater Testkit to check for Bad things in the water (ex. Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites. You also test the PH levels. Those are the basic tests. You "should" also test for Calcium , Alk, and other things. However, I only test for the basics at this point.

Waterchanges - You should do 10-15% water changes on a weekly routine. If the tank is really established, I think you can get away with bi-weekly. You'll Need SaltMix to prepare the NEW water before you to the PWC. I have approx 50gallons of water in my setup (45gal Tank +10Gal Sump minus Rocks/sand). So I do 5gallons a week. It takes me 10min MAX to do them each week.

So.. I assume the guy who is giving you this tank will most likely have a test kit and Salt Mix and other goodies. Just let us know what you get with it.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thankx guys for the (again) very timely response...(goisles 1, and bawel ) !!!!
The soon-to-be-former owner HAS all/or most all of the salt mixes test kits etc that are needed....( I'm sure of that)
See he once upon a time >loved the tank but a recent marriage....step kids...business etc demand too much of his time sooooooooooo he offered to pass it on to me. ( It is my assumption that other than the lighting issues there will be little else I'll need to actually purchase at this stage)....so now that I've established myself on this chatroom...and made some new friends whom I can reach out to..."TOMORROW" is the big day !! I'll imeadiately touch bases as soon as we're all settled in and my bebies are home. How much fun is this !!!! Those of you who are interrested enough...can WITNESS the rebirth of this tank and the growth step by step as it all transpires! Good stuff !! (to me anyway)...Look for me tomorrow K ??
Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Yeap yeap, you're welcome to ask question here and we always help you to the best that we can . Btw, off the topic a bit, I always go to big bear for local snowboarding :P, too bad lately there's no good snow yet

Good luck with the tank and as for the lights, try to buy online, it's cheaper than buying it locally. Yeah keep us posted and take pictures, we'd love to see it! Before and after would be great
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Looks like everyone has you covered...for now.
You do want to work on getting the lights fixed. What type of lighting does the tank have? Normal fluorescent, power compact, T5HO or metal halide?

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com