Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never purposely fed my cleanup crew (crabs, snails, shrimp). They'll get everything they need from the leftovers and all the other junk in the tank.

That food would be OK for your fish, but try and mix it up and give the fish some variety. Maybe that stuff one day, some frozen the next, etc. Pellets and flakes normally have more stuff in them that you don't want in your tank (phosphates, etc) so frozen is the best if you've got a place around you that has it.

Quote:
it's only going to cost me like $10 each time
Ouch!

You can pick up a bucket of salt mix online for $50 shipped to your house and it'll make around 150 gallons. That and a moderately priced RO/DI filter setup ($100-$200) seems like you'd be money ahead.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah... i probably will eventually make my own water... i did order a RO/DI that I am waiting on... but for short term that is only going to be to refill evap'ed water (and maybe some drinking water for me!).

Hey, i'm a little confused... you say that the Nassarius snails will all come out of the sand bed at feeding time but also say that you don't "feed" them anything because usually the algae is enough...

Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caige View Post
Yeah... i probably will eventually make my own water... i did order a RO/DI that I am waiting on... but for short term that is only going to be to refill evap'ed water (and maybe some drinking water for me!).
Not sure why you wouldn't want to use it to make salt water, but to each his/her own. I wouldn't drink it - heard that RO/DI water is a bad thing to drink because it is stripped of everything, and can throw your electrolytes off. Never confirmed that - but I can tell you it doesn't taste good. That's why all those bottled water companies use RO/DI, but then put back in a bunch of minerals.

Quote:
Hey, i'm a little confused... you say that the Nassarius snails will all come out of the sand bed at feeding time but also say that you don't "feed" them anything because usually the algae is enough...
Actually, I didn't say both those things, but I did say...

Quote:
They'll get everything they need from the leftovers and all the other junk in the tank.
... which means the nassarius sense food like you wouldn't believe and come up to get fish leftovers. They're not algae eaters, but will have no problem finding junk to eat in the sand bed.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Kurt -

- guess I prob won't drink the RO/DI then lol. Also, I will eventually make my own water but want to make sure I have everything established before learning something else LOL

- oh, and I didn't mean "you" said that. Was just replying generally to the forum. Sorry about that.

- the nassarius snails are the only ones I really can't locate / see.... but guess in time I will understand their behavior.

Oh, I love my emerald crabs! Very fun to watch and are grazing on all the spots that I have that bubble algea at.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #65
AA Team Emeritus

RO water is fine for drinking, just not RODI. Many systems come with a small tank to hold RO water under the sink and have a sink faucet that can be used.

The nassarius snails should pop out of the sand when you add food to the tank. If they don't, then they might not have made it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you did order the RO/DI unit already you absorbed most of the cost to mixing your own water. The salt, mixing containers,a powerhead, Thermomoter and heater are only another 80 dollars or so And then you will know for sure what is in your water right now you are putting your trust into someone elses work. Plus lugging all those jugs from the LFS not fun lots of work!!! And having a tub for RO/DI water for topoffs and a seperate tub for Mixed water on hand is great in case of an emergency.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

update from the NOOB

i'm looking good (I think) LOL. Took water test today as follows

- 78.4 degrees
- 8.1 PH
- 0 ammonia
- 0 Nitrite
- 20 Nitrate
- 161.1 KH

I plan on doing water change tomorrow night. I am also purchasing Alkalinity, phosphate and calcium test sets tomorrow.

Questions - Do i need Iodine and Silica test sets in you opinion?

Fan still has not came in yet. I called and they said it was delayed and they shipped today! I have a tracking number now so at least I know it's on the way.

Here are some pictures: 1st 3 are just pics of my awesome tank. 4th pic is something that I noticed today.. looks like a mini fuzzy white star fish - I did some research and looks to be a "ASTERINA STAR"??? which seems to be harmless from what i'm reading.

I'm also seeing all sorts of things pop up... different bugs, algae etc.. They all seem to be harmless.

Xtalreef This is an awesome link that helped me identify almost all of the interesting things i'm finding in the tank!

Best of all... my 10 florida Turbos, 5 Mexican hermits, 3 emerald crabs and 3 peppermint shrimp are all doing GREAT !! every once in a while I see a nassarius LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.2.08 dump 069.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	14054   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.2.08 dump 070.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	14055  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.2.08 dump 071.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	14056   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.2.08 dump 066.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	14057  

Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #68
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WOW!!!! I love the scaping! Where did you get that base?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caige View Post
i'm looking good (I think) LOL. Took water test today as follows

- 78.4 degrees
- 8.1 PH
- 0 ammonia
- 0 Nitrite
- 20 Nitrate
- 161.1 KH

I plan on doing water change tomorrow night. I am also purchasing Alkalinity, phosphate and calcium test sets tomorrow.
Yup... looks like someone at the end of their cycle. Since you gave us a 161.1 KH reading, sounds like you have a alkalinity test already, so there's no need to buy one of those. I'm guessing you meant 161.1 ppm which would be around 9 dkH, or 3.2 meq/l. Here's a conversion table...

OZ REEF - Alkalinity Conversion

Quote:
Questions - Do i need Iodine and Silica test sets in you opinion?
I don't see a need for one, unless your curious about your levels. I use purified water, so I'm not worried about silica. But in your case using tap, if you have an algae issue, you might be interested in knowing your levels. I wouldn't worry about iodine unless you plan on adding it to your tank - and I wouldn't suggest that.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #70
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Kurt. Congratulations!

Get a Mg (Magnesium) kit instead of the alk (you already have that).

You will be continually amazed at what seems to pop out of the rock over the next few months.

Be prepared for the outbreak of diatoms and algae that all new tanks go through.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com