New stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been working on designing a new stand for my 55gal. I want to make it as sturdy as I can without making it too heavy to move without a crane or using a whole forest. If there are any engineers, carpenters or anyone else on AA that could help out, could you tell me weather my design would be strong enough. I have drafted a 3-D model for easy viewing. Bracing will be 2x4's. Top cover will be 3/4" plywood. Outside cover will be 1/4" plywood with 1x4's (spacing of 1x4 is still being worked on). TIA.

That design looks like it could hold up a car! The stand for my 90 gal isn't nearly as beefy as that. Better to have a stand that's kinda heavy than a flooded living room though.

I built my stand for a 55gal, I used only 3/4 inch oak plywood and have not had any problems. I can move the stand myself. You can see my stand by looking a my Gallery

You can gain space inside the cabinet by making the frame out of 5/4 hardwood. That design would require small corner braces. But it would leave more room inside the cabinet.

ScubaDean: Do you have a pic of the inside of your stand? The whole point of my new stand is so I can have a sump or refugium. Would like to see how you constructed your tank.

darb2: I'll look into the 5/4 hardwood. Would be nice to have a small storage opening on both sides. Maybe even add a shelf or 2 in there.

Sounds like what I have drawn is a little much. I'll revise it and see if I can come up with something thats not a army tank.

I'll take some pictures and post soon I have a 10 gal sump;/refug. plus room for my VHO transformers and things. Its tight but works OK.

I built this cabinet using a similar design to yours. Smaller material placed properly goes a long way 8)

Back
Top Bottom