new sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramonbetz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok ive successfully built a 29 gallon sump refugium we have filter sock carbon biomax and filter floss for it, what type of plant do i put in the refugium part??? and is that enough filter media or is there better media for my 72 gallon saltwater ??????

Chaeto algae for the (plant). That's what a lot of people run in their sumps including myself. It works great, you will need to run a light on it though. As far as media I don't run anything but some carbon placed in a mesh bag placed in the chamber where my return pump sits. I used to run some floss but it would start to block the sumps flow so I strictly run a filter sock now.

where can i get chaeto algae? and what kind of light does it need? and how many hours of light should it be on?

where can i get chaeto algae? and what kind of light does it need? and how many hours of light should it be on?

I got a ball of cheato from my LFS about a year ago it was about ten bucks. It grows like a weed and now I trim some of it off about once a month and bring it back to them for store credit. As far as lighting I have a Home Depot shop light with a curly bulb in it with a clamp on it, that setup probably cost about 10 bucks. There are going to be many here who will advise you on how long to run the light over chaeto but mine is on at 7 in the am till about 10 in the pm on a timer of course.

oh ya forgot to ask what kind of lid u have on ur refugium?

we dont have protein skimmer yet whats are some good brands?

No lid on it. You want it to breathe. As far as a protein skimmer. I managed to use my HOB skimmer made by reef octopus on the sump and it works for me. I'm sure some people will chime in on what skimmers would be good for your set up.

we dont have protein skimmer yet whats are some good brands?

I have a bubble max and I love it. My tank is a lot bigger then yours so I don't honk you would have to go to that extreme. I am setting up my friends 75g sw tank with a 29g sump as well. He started from scratch and I am getting him everything. I got a hob skimmer made by seaclone. Haven't tried it out yet because I am rebuilding his whole sump and replumbing it all. 200micron filter sock and a 1200gph mag drive return pump.

my returnnn pump is a quiet one 4000. its a $200 pump that came with the package deal. i have filter socks from petsmart and they have no specifics on the package are they good enough?

my returnnn pump is a quiet one 4000. its a $200 pump that came with the package deal. i have filter socks from petsmart and they have no specifics on the package are they good enough?

They are all basically the same. All the filter sock is going to do is just get any large fish poop or any other debri from entering your refugium. I think they range from 50micron to a few hundred micron. It should be fine. Any pics of the sump/ tank?

Back
Top Bottom