New sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
huma-huma said:
I Just finished up my refugium a few days ago. Went to lowes, bought a 20 sheet of acrylic, had them make the cuts. All said and done, i spent $20 on acrylic
$5 on tube of GE silicone 1
$4 on caulking gun ( misplaced mine)
The single sheet of acrylic got me 2 9x12 baffles and 2 12x6 baffles.. This all went into a 55g (which i paid $55 for) so all said and done i spent $84 and ended with the same result that companies are charging hundreds of dollars for. I also scored a glass-holes sock-it kit for $20,

But def use acrylic, the strength isnt really what is important. Its flexibility thats key. Acrylic will bend and flex a lil to adjust, glass just cracks

Perfect thanks for the advice! I'm gonna go with the acrylic. How thick did you go?

huma-huma said:
1/4", you want some flex but if it bows too much it could pull away from the seams

I'm in lowes waiting on it right now so I should have it finished by this weekend (between work and school) ill also pick up a pump too

Make sure the baffles fit in as tight as possible without cracking or breaking. Then when you silicone them in, make certain all areas are 100% dry

huma-huma said:
Make sure the baffles fit in as tight as possible without cracking or breaking. Then when you silicone them in, make certain all areas are 100% dry

I'm getting them cut to 17.5 in and my tank is 17.75. I went tighter than the original 17 3/8 I was going with for that very reason. And im going to sand the edges anyways so i can make small adjustments there too. Thanks!

When I got the 17 1/2 in for the baffles it was too big I went with 3/8 and its snug. If I don't get called into work early tomorrow I should be able to set it up. I went with 5 baffles of 1/4 in acrylic. Came out to $80 for acrylic alone. I hope I don't have to get more silicone and add to the already too expensive project.

huma-huma said:
80 bucks?!? Where did you buy it?

Lowes. I knew I got overcharged and could have gotten it cheaper but I just want to get it done I'm tired of not having the tank up

huma-huma said:
Dont blame ya one bit. Thats the point im getting to on my tank

I went so far as buying all of my return assembly hosing and pump today so I can get water in it next week and ill just add sand/rock later.

I have a question on the bubble trap. I made my main bubble trap (3 baffles) on my drain/skimmer side. Did I mess up? Ill attach a picture. I made it to the footprint of the skimmer I'm gonna get just hoping I didn't attach a baffle on the wrong side.

Attachments

• image-223914953.jpg
    image-223914953.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 47
huma-huma said:
Dont blame ya one bit. Thats the point im getting to on my tank

My original. Basically I swapped the places of the skimmer and pump as well as made the pump section to the size of the pump, roughly 5 in. This making the baffles for them a different configuration. Will this be an issue? I know there are different setups just not if this one is operable

Attachments

• image-1430962167.jpg
    image-1430962167.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom