New sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was originally going to do the normal baffled sump/fuge then when I saw the price of my glass shops for cut glass I entertained a new idea. I have a 40g breeder, I'm thinking of making a floating box made from plastic grate that will house chaeto. Ill also have my skimmer and pump in th the sump obviously. Would this be sufficient for filtration?? Any input is appreciated! Thanks

It would be sufficient for filtration, but the baffles are there for a reason - with the setup you describe you will have tons of microbubbles from the skimmer and drain lines that will get sucked up into the return pump and put into your DT. The baffles/bubble traps help to remove this issue, and are very effective at it.

Check home depot or Lowes. I believe they cut glass, and last I heard it was only a few dollars a cut. You could also use acrylic sheets, and score/cut them yourself (this is what I did).

Lowes cut glass for me for free. You just have to buy the glass. Figure out the smallest size piece you can get and give them your measurements. The glass is pretty cheap.

fort384 said:
It would be sufficient for filtration, but the baffles are there for a reason - with the setup you describe you will have tons of microbubbles from the skimmer and drain lines that will get sucked up into the return pump and put into your DT. The baffles/bubble traps help to remove this issue, and are very effective at it.

Check home depot or Lowes. I believe they cut glass, and last I heard it was only a few dollars a cut. You could also use acrylic sheets, and score/cut them yourself (this is what I did).

Okay ya this is why I asked before I did anything. Thank you. Lowes by me only has 2mm glass which I thought was too thin?....

paul87 said:
Lowes cut glass for me for free. You just have to buy the glass. Figure out the smallest size piece you can get and give them your measurements. The glass is pretty cheap.

Ya I went in and asked but they only had 2mm

fort384 said:

Where did you get your acrylic sheets from?

Lowes where I'm at has acrylic by the glass. Different sizes and thicknesses.

Mine does ok. It does flex a bit. I have it on a 20L though. I think you said your sump is a 40b? Might want to go with 1/4 on it.

fort384 said:
Mine does ok. It does flex a bit. I have it on a 20L though. I think you said your sump is a 40b? Might want to go with 1/4 on it.

Ya it's a 40b. Glass shops charge an arm and a leg guess I have to shop around more

I used 1/8" glass on mine. They have different thicknesses on the plexiglas at Lowes.

paul87 said:
I used 1/8" glass on mine. They have different thicknesses on the plexiglas at Lowes.

I read not to use plexiglass don't remember why, just that glass was best especially for glass to glass

Acrylic (plexiglass) works just fine. The problem is some caulk will not bond to the acrylic panels. However, I used 100% silicon caulk and it worked just fine - I just sanded the edges of the acrylic a bit to provide more of a bonding surface. Mine has been running for about 8 months with a glass tank and 1/8" acrylic panels for the baffles and bubble trap, and there is no sign of the joints failing or moving. I check it all the time to make sure it is secure.

Yep that's right. Either is fine. Acrylic is alot stronger and glass is cheaper. Your choice both is fine.

fort384 said:
Acrylic (plexiglass) works just fine. The problem is some caulk will not bond to the acrylic panels. However, I used 100% silicon caulk and it worked just fine - I just sanded the edges of the acrylic a bit to provide more of a bonding surface. Mine has been running for about 8 months with a glass tank and 1/8" acrylic panels for the baffles and bubble trap, and there is no sign of the joints failing or moving. I check it all the time to make sure it is secure.

I'm thinking that's the way to go then. I'm pretty sure my lowes has thick plexiglass so ill be getting that. Thank you guys a lot my original plan is now back on track!

I Just finished up my refugium a few days ago. Went to lowes, bought a 20 sheet of acrylic, had them make the cuts. All said and done, i spent $20 on acrylic
$5 on tube of GE silicone 1
$4 on caulking gun ( misplaced mine)
The single sheet of acrylic got me 2 9x12 baffles and 2 12x6 baffles.. This all went into a 55g (which i paid $55 for) so all said and done i spent $84 and ended with the same result that companies are charging hundreds of dollars for. I also scored a glass-holes sock-it kit for $20,

But def use acrylic, the strength isnt really what is important. Its flexibility thats key. Acrylic will bend and flex a lil to adjust, glass just cracks

Back
Top Bottom