Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
You just don't want a massive ball, in case it died off and returned all those nutrients back to your tank. The purpose here is for nutrient export. There is no export, if you don't trim and remove it. I let mine grow prob more than I should, but I observe my tank daily, and I like it to look all grown in.
Well I've got a pretty huge clump in it right now! Should I trim some off? And they say to give the stuff you trim away to a friend, wouldn't that be just giving them all the nitrates and phosphates?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha... I guess your kinda right. Never thought of it that way . it's nitrates and phosphates with benefits...Lol.
I would just leave it for now, if you see some good growth out of it, then trim some off. It should be fine for now, I would just try to spread it out best you can without breaking it, try to make it less dense so light penetrates.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Haha... I guess your kinda right. Never thought of it that way . it's nitrates and phosphates with benefits...Lol.
I would just leave it for now, if you see some good growth out of it, then trim some off. It should be fine for now, I would just try to spread it out best you can without breaking it, try to make it less dense so light penetrates.
Haha yeah! Well I always thought that it actually "ate" the nitrates and phosphates but apparently it just stores them and grows bigger or something? But doesn't that mean that their always there? Maybe it means for us to cut it to give it more room to grow new chaeto that can absorb more nitrates and phosphates?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's right. It's always there, but trapped in the cells of the plant, and cannot get back into the water column unless the plant dies and releases it back into water. We cut and remove it, so that can't happen, and to give if more incentive to grow and remove more. A pruned plant always grows better than an unkept one.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
That's right. It's always there, but trapped in the cells of the plant, and cannot get back into the water column unless the plant dies and releases it back into water. We cut and remove it, so that can't happen, and to give if more incentive to grow and remove more. A pruned plant always grows better than an unkept one.
So I just bought me some nitrates and phosphates huh? Haha how long is it supposed to be lighted for?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually the best approach with a refugium, is to light it opposite your DT. When lights go out on the tank, they go on in the refuge. This helps to combat the diurnal PH shift that occurs with all tanks. It won't eliminate the shift, but it will help with it.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does anyone know how easy it is to cut off a starfish's leg? I'm not a psycho or anything! Haha I was just reading on the Harlequin Shrimp earlier today and read that some people keep a few big starfish in their refugium and cut off one leg everytime they want to feed their harlequin shrimp...has anyone ever done this?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com