new sump setup help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I need new lights..I can probably use another power head..and have never used a sterilizer..maybe a sterilizer will help

the UV sterilizer didn't do it, so you can rule that out. it's only good for parasites in the water column.
actually, there is controversy about whether a UV sterilizer is any good for a reef, since we want planktonic creatures and pods to flourish, and anything that passes through the sterilizer is killed (i don't know if it works on bacteria though, and if it did, you'd have to get it all to go through the device)
627, i would consider removing it.

Yea I was doing some reading on it and some say yes and others say not to use it.. but I am thinking of just running some carbon through a phosban reactor since I already have some chaeto in my fuge ...I am hopping the chaeto will lower my. 25 phosphate level and reduce the algae..so far haven't seen and changes with the chaeto tho

I have read more positive reviews about sterilizers than negative. I don't believe it did anything for the slime like you said but I haven't seen any negative effects. My copepod and amphipod population has flourished.

Lawndale is really close. What lfs do you usually go to?

I usually go to Jims exotic fish and more offten to southbay aquarium since that one is much closer..

UV sterilizers sold in the aquarium trade are generally too undersized to be of much real benefit. They also require a lot of care. Consider that the glass between the bulb and the water will be coated with slime and the effectiveness starts dropping quickly.

Cyano (red slime) thrives in Red/Yellow light. Old bulbs will help it grow as will excess nutrients and low flow. It is a battle, but it can be won by working on nutrient export, flow and lighting.

Running GFO (granulated ferric oxide) will help bring phosphates down to zero or near zero.

Bulk Reef Supply sells reactors and the bulk material.

Ok I will try increasing flow by adding another power head...my lights almost look blue.. and to run this GFO would I just use it in a reactor or can I place it in some media bags and stick it in my sump

I agree with cmor1701, changing of my old bulbs and better flow was what won the battle.

I like jim, nice guy, nice store. Have you ever been to age of aquariums in long beach. Great customer service. Everyone in that store is so helpful and very knowledgeable. This weekend all corals and fish will be 20 percent off.

Yea pretty cool guy...Oh really 20% off ..no I never been there but I will definitely check it out..

you will need a reactor for GFO. it won't work in a mesh bag, draped in the sump. you should do some reading on it. it's not like carbon that you can just toss a blind amount in the reactor and not worry. you'll need to gradually raise the amount. there is a formula.

ok so i decided to use my fluval 405 to run my media since i alrready had it laying around. so i have carbon running through it now in one basket and i was wondering which phosban media can be run throught this filter in a different basket??

Back
Top Bottom