new sump setup help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think it's the water depth. it's possible that there was something on the acrylic, but i'm not convinced that's the problem. have you inspected that gate valve they sent for obstructions? are you sure it's working properly? what if you remove it. what happens then?

Wow I am amazed.. I think that solved the problem..i removed the valve assembly completely and right away it has stopped overflowing... Valve looks free of any obstructions.. Makes me believe there was too much pressure at the output causing it to overflow?.. My output is now just a short 90 degree elbow coming out straight from the body of the skimmer and seems to be working fine now..

it's not fixed though...you need that gate valve to adjust the skimmer height. is it possible you have the pipes on wrong?
can you take a picture of it?
worst case scenario, contact coralvue
General Contact | CoralVue Technology
or the place you purchased it from and explain the issue to them.
it's something simple i'm sure.
all of the octopus skimmers i have owned have rocked, and i've owned a few.

I will post a picture this evening but its still running as of right now with no valve and has started skimming some brownish green water with some foam on top

your octopus will skim circles around that urchin. have you added any weird stuff to your tank lately? certain chemicals/additives will really foam up and make a skimmer act just like that.

I'm sure the octopus is a good skimmer, i have never used it myself so i cant say. but like I said the urchin works perfect, great skimming, and no adjustment necessary. It also has a drain fitting so it does not overflow when I am out of town.

I just meant he should have a little patience as this is a patient hobby. I'm glad you skimmer is working now. I'm sure there was nothing wrong but adjustment.

lol.. so this is how i have my skimmer now with out the valve. it has actually skimmed a good amount now just the way it is. i have aslo tried putting back the vavle and it does not overflow as much anymore. it seems like it needed to run with out the valve for a while for some reason.

Attachments

• DSC02138.jpg
    DSC02138.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 59
you will need to make adjustments to the height of the water inside the skimmer, so it's good to hear that its breaking in some.

Thanks I will let it run like that for while longer to break it in some.. Has actually skimmed much more so far than my previous bak pak 2 skimmer..

can i use regular sand for my dsb? homedepot sells play sand i am guessing the one they use for parks, would i be able to use that? i know it doesnt have to be live sand but i am not sure if i can use the play sand if i rinse it well.

Play sand is mainly silica and not very good for a reef setup.

a lot of controversy surrounds the use of silica based sand. at the very least it does nothing to buffer PH. some say silicates support algae growth. others say it's just inert and the stuff they make glass out of. how can it be bad?

does this look normal...i am assuming this is good but shoudn't it be more foamy than wet? it will produce this in a day well pretty much over night.

Attachments

• DSC02154.jpg
    DSC02154.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom