Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
is back to save the day!

Well, that's an LFS for you. Im almost 100% sure that he was just trying to sell you the skimmer. And im 100% sure that no one should ever trust what an LFS employee tells them. That's one thing you will learn shortly if you stick to this forum haha. Trust me, he just duped you. The seaclones really are below the bottom of the barrel as far as skimmers go. Hence why you find them being sold at petsmart, and you don't find skimmers like Reef Octopus' being sold there lol.. If you think that seaclone was expensive, then you've never seen any skimmers lol. Some go over $2000 dollars. I bought my Reef Octopus for 124$, and it's definitely one of the best HOB skimmers out there. Those and Bak-Paks by CPR. If you were going to get a HOB skimmer, i would have suggested either the Reef Octopus or the CPR Bak-Pak. They get great reviews contantly, and are not in the least bit expensive, for the amount of work that they do. But still, i hope that skimmer doesn't break down on you. :s

Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
yeah i saw some that were about 400 dollars but they were the ones that u have to put inside the other aquarium

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #13
is back to save the day!

You mean the sump right? The sump is that extension of the aquarium where all of the other equipment goes in to, and adds more water volume. But yeah.. generally speaking, the ones that are "In-Sump" will be more expensive. Depending on the brand you get of course.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
yup ill get one of those some day first i just want to establish a simple salt water aquarium to start off and like add some things here and there because im not rich and all of those things come out of my own pockets
Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

Heh, i feel the same way man. I worked the entire summer before i started college, and then i blew whatever i made on this SW tank that i have, and i'm still not satisfied with it. But yeah, to start off, you're definitely doing the right things. Just keep asking questions, and don't fell that your'e alone! We're all here to help you. Good Luck
Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
my seaclone is a bit of a pain to actually GET skimming, but once it's set right it works like a champ. I fully expect it to break soon with all the bad reviews, but as of now, it does its job, so I have no complaints.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for everything i took some.water to the pet store yesterday so they can test it and the guy said it was fine that i just needed to do a salt test which i have done and im confused i dont know if i am doin it right because the hydrometer gives me 4 different numbers but Idk ill doit when i get home again, my ammonia its just barely high atleast thats what the guy said and that wit the protein skimmer it should come down is it true?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I never had luck with the plastic hydrometers. I would look into the glass ones (they're cheaper too!) or a refractometer. I love mine. So useful.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
is back to save the day!

Yeah, i have a refractometer as well. When it comes to accuracy, nothing beats them.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

cool thanks i actually went to the store and learned how to use itand now it seems that im doing good, i also bought some more live rock and i took more water and the guy that tested it used chemicals and a weird machine for the salinity (or however it spells XD)and he said that everything its on except the ph that its spiking up and down and that because its changing i should wait until friday to do another water test and well here are some pics of my new live rock

Tags
set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com