New SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well the SW tank been up for about a week or so now, (started with live rock, equipment from a well established tank, water from the establish SW tank and new sand) We have lots of "critters" running around in there, a few starfish, and a mushroom, and some others. Took a water sample in today to Pruess's and the amonia and nitrites were negative. Nitrates were 0.12. (hope I got the nite/nate thing right) Anyway they said it was OK to fish the tank. But Im nervous about putting fish in this early in a cycle? Could the amonia/nitrite levels just have dropped to 0 and go back up? Or is it because I started with majority of an established tank?

It's possible you had enough cured LR to make for a really quick cycle. Just to be safe, I would add a pinch of flake and test in about 3-4 days for ammonia. If you have 0, you can slowly add fish. I would say 1 or 2 at first and then about 1-2 a month. This will allow the beneficial bacteria to build up and keep up with the additional bio load.
I also wanted to let you know SW does not contain a lot of the beneficial bacteria. That resides in the LR, substrate, sponges and filter media.
I would also suggest you get a refractometer and your own liquid water tests.

The "critters" you mentioned were in the established tank, not yours, right?

What size is the tank and how much rock (from the established tank) didja use?

No the critters are in my tank. There is about 8 lbs total of rock in the tank. (27 g) The critters came with the rocks. There are pictures on my home page with what I can get with my camera. There is also a brindle worm (?). Everything looks healthy. The mushroom is growing by the day. Its doubled its size since I brought it home on a rock. Opens with lights and closes up in the dark. There are several snail like critters that original looked like they were rubbers plants but they are moving around on the rocks and sticking to the glass. I'm searching trying to find pictures of these things to identify them all. Some are in my pictures on my page, so please look and offer your knowledge. Pictures are not my expertise but I think you can see them well enough.

you only have 8lbs of LR in your 29gal tank? you need 1.5- 2lbs of LR for each gallon. the LR is going to be your main source of filtration and is very important

You likely got enuf rock to sustain life since the critters from the rock are still doing fine. I'd consider adding abse rock to increase the amount of beneficial bacteria to sustain a fish load. Depending on whether you go reef (maybe you are by default with all that growth) :) would determine how much you really might.

What's on your fish list? If a clown is on your list, I'd add one. Not sure you want a pair since it will mean less other fish. adding one fish and watching the ammonia - staying at zero says you have a cycled tank already and the rock you got in there is doing its job. But I'd still add fish slowly and watch the readings.

BTW, looks like some artificial stuff in your tank. If so, it won't be pretty for long.

That's also a pretty big bristle worm for such a small tank. I'd remove if it were me while you can still catch him.

Update

Not sure if the pics will show but I put stage one and stage two of my progress. I know...I know.....the air bubbler is not needed. But I like it. Besides the clown fish are having a HayDay with it.....:)

Attachments

• StageOne01.jpg
    StageOne01.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 79
  • StageTwo03.jpg
    StageTwo03.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 88
I know...I know.....the air bubbler is not needed. But I like it.

If you want it that`s fine but be ready to wipe salt creep off the back of the tank all the time. The tank looks pretty nice. Good progress.

I'm surprised the maroon clown is not beating up the other one. Did you add them at the same time?

A few things to know about the maroon, they are the most territorial of the clowns and should not be netted, as they have cheekspines. Just an FYI.

My bad -- I miss quoted due to my nieveness. Both clowns are Ocellaris Clowns. S/W the LFS and they said they are just varient colors to each other. They should pair up relatively sooner then later. Already they go side by side everywhere. If one goes somewhere the other will follow and vise versa. The orange one is a bit shy - if he ventures off alone he wont go far without heading back to the black.

And I'm VERY excited as "They blink their eyes!!" My 12 y/o daughter swears every time she goes to the glass the orange one will look at her and blink its eyes. "He is saying 'hello' to me!"

The front one looks like an O Clown but is very dark. The back one looks like a maroon. Or maybe it is just my eyes.

not sure if this is a better picture....maybe I should get some more pictures and make sure I got what I was suppose to.

Attachments

• Clowns01.jpg
    Clowns01.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 75
LOL, yeah, it's easier to tell from the markings on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom