new SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh saw earlier were you said you were using the strips. Ya toss those and get the api liquid test kit then retest everything. Check the ph with that before you dose anything else. I would also really recommend taking the GSPs back and look into some of the nano fish. Puffers get big pretty fast and are really messy.

ok so should i do a water change??? if so how much? by the way u guys are really helpful and i thank all of you

Dont do a water change right now. I would get the fish out and get a saltwater test kit. If the fish are out, it is good that you have ammonia. That will get the cycle going. I would recommend getting some pure ammonia (no perfumes or surfactants) and start cycling. You will dose ammonia and test levels to see nitrItes peak and then fall. In the end you should have 0ppm ammonia and nitrItes and high nitrAtes. Then you will do a big water change and then start stocking slowly and with the proper fish. If you keep the fish you will be in for a long hard battle to get the tank cycled and not kill the fish.

can i put them in a 5 gal bucket till i get the water situated or what do u recommend

Once all that is done Google nano fish and it will show you all the types of fish you can get. You want a fish that won't get bigger then a few inches at first then maybe one more

ok i will do that how much amonia do i use and how long do i cycle for. what should my parameter of the water read if everything is perfect

spoonman said:
Dont do a water change right now. I would get the fish out and get a saltwater test kit. If the fish are out, it is good that you have ammonia. That will get the cycle going. I would recommend getting some pure ammonia (no perfumes or surfactants) and start cycling. You will dose ammonia and test levels to see nitrItes peak and then fall. In the end you should have 0ppm ammonia and nitrItes and high nitrAtes. Then you will do a big water change and then start stocking slowly and with the proper fish. If you keep the fish you will be in for a long hard battle to get the tank cycled and not kill the fish.

Its all right here in his post you have to be patient especially with saltwater

Back
Top Bottom