New SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ja Moule

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm just about to set up my tank
I've purchased a juwel skimmer 3.0 , a uv cannister filter from all pond solutions , new T5 lighting ( 4 bulbs) and wave makers and a new heater,
Going to purchase my water n coral sand from a reputable dealer so I know it's decent . Any body got any ideas on cycling tank , and can I put live rock in straightaway.
I'm planning on setting it up as a reef tank as this is my first SW tank any advice would be welcomed
Cheers jason

It is better to put live rock in right away so the bacteria colonize on it. This will be your main source of filtration. As for cycling, put a frozen shrimp form the grocery store in a net and let it decompose. If you out it in high flow it will break down faster. You need to test parameters every day. Once ammonia and nitrites rise and fall to 0 and your nitrates go up, do a water change or a few to get them into the acceptable range (10> for reef tanks is a good goal) and add fish and corals...... SLOWLY. Wait awhile to add finicky things and add the least aggressive fish first.

Agreed ^^^, but I recommend returning that uv sterilizer as it will kill anything that passes through it, like pods which are a small beneficial organisms that fish love to eat. You should definitely research before you purchase livestock. It will save you money, time, and headache! There are some good articles to help you on AA.
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium Hobby - Aquarium Advice
There are also some good articles about different species on bluezooaquatics.com (under research).
For quick stats you might want to look at liveaquaria.com
Congrats on starting up and looking forward to the progress of your new tank! (y)

I disagree with returning yur uv I got one my tanks loaded with pods it may kill some but not noticeable at all and it hads to the system a cleaner more sterile environment

bskerrichard27 said:
I disagree with returning yur uv I got one my tanks loaded with pods it may kill some but not noticeable at all and it hads to the system a cleaner more sterile environment

+1,the benefits of a uv sterilizer far outweigh the negative affects... Actually there really isnt any negative affects... Pods will grow such a huge population that it wont matter

It may not be a cure all but anything that helps keep my system healthy I'm all about;)

Thank you all for your advice , I'm going to use my uv.
Looking forward to purchasing my sand and water some time next week.
A friend as donated some live rock and going to add more every few weeks of cycling.

Welcome to the hobby!! I was in your situation few months ago and it's addicting?? if you have questions, ask. This site is awesome!! :)

I didn't mean to say that all the pods would be killed, but I think it's not as effective as one might think. There's a chance that the pests could travel through it and get killed, but I don't know, I think it's a lower probability. Of course having extra insurance is always great, but it's not necessary. At least that's just my opinion. If every malevolent organism passed through it and was killed, then I'd probably get one, but that's not very likely IMO. Anyway good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom