Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New SW tank cycling

I just started up a 29 Gal SW tank and am cycling with 35lb of live rock. After a couple days the water condition is in bad shape. Ammonia is showing at the highest level 8.0 and Nitrites and Nitrates are showing the highest levels on the strip also. Do I let it sit like this and it will cycle itself or do a 50% water change?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well first off i suggest buying a set of liquid test kits, the API saltwater master test kit is a good starter kit and is relatively cheap. this is because those strip kits aren't very accurate and you can get the readings you're getting

if you find this is the case id probably do a PWC, the size you said sounds good to get the ammonia down, the tank won't cycle with that much ammonia.

also, how are you cycling the tank? did you add a shrimp or do you just have the rock?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Just the live rock
Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay, thats all youll need, just get a liquid test kit and post those results, then we'll go from there
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

Ok, so i have the API ammonia tester. Did a 50% water change. Brushed off all the rocks gently like liveaquaria recommends in there how to on cycling with live rock and checked the water after 2 hours. Same result. Dark blue which is the highest number on the chart at 8.0. Who knows it might even be higher Should I put some Amquel in the tank or what?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'm guessing there was a LOT of dead and decaying stuff on that rock. And that's even after you brushed the loose stuff off. Wow.

Dunno what Amquel is, but I'd wait it out for a few more days and see if the ammonia budges. I'm not a fan of sw tank additives. More into letting the natural processes take place. Nothing scientific on my part, just my druthers.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'm guessing there was a LOT of dead and decaying stuff on that rock. And that's even after you brushed the loose stuff off. Wow.

Dunno what Amquel is, but I'd wait it out for a few more days and see if the ammonia budges. I'm not a fan of sw tank additives. More into letting the natural processes take place. Nothing scientific on my part, just my druthers.
Thanks. I'll give it a couple days and see if anything good happens
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #8

Did you clean off any of the dead material from the live rock before you added it to the tank?
If not I would get a canister filter on the tank and take a turkey baster to blow off as much decaying matter from the rock as possible. Then let the canister filter run for a while to clear the water and then remove it.
In time the amonia will go down but the more dead material there is on the rocks the longer it will take.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Good point. Maybe a lot of stuff remained or continued to loosen after you did the initial brushing of the rock. That turkey baster may help remove more decaying matter.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #10

Thanks guys. I'll let it sit for a few days then see if the ammonia is any lower. I've got an EHEIM canister sitting next to the tank i'll get hooked up. So no water change yet right? Since I did a 50% yesterday.

Tags
cycling, tan, tank cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com