New SW tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquahungerforce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings to all! I recently on an impulse (damn petsmart :) ) bought a 29 gal tank kit, and I have decided to to make a reef/fish tank. I would like to know some opinions on what brands and/or types of products you all could recommend. Especially on protein skimmers, and HOB filters.

I've been getting conflicting info from two different LFS and some books and online articles I've read. And are UV sterilizers really necessary?
One store says yes, one says no. One store says SW much more difficult than FW, one says opposite! :?

I haven't really made up my mind on what to have in the tank, I know I would like an anenome and a clown or two, maybe a fire shrimp. I would like a blue tang or a yellow, but LFS says 29 too small and not good tank mates for clowns. Maybe in a 55? LFS has one with light hood and stand for $150. Good deal?

Any advice would surely help this SW novice out before I get in a mess!
I only have exp. in FW and bettas, SW is a whole new enchilada for me.

UV sterilizor- Yes if it's a fish only tank since it can help prevent Ich and many nasty deseases.

Best type of filtration would be live rock & live sand in your display tank I would say 70 pounds of live rock and 4" inch sand bed would be great to start(you can mix the sand like, just make sure you add the best quality sand which is life last to seed the rest and the same goes for the li08/06/2004 rock.)

As for a hang on filter, I would go with the following since it works great on my 30 hospital tank.

1) CD-321087-Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter at live aquaria.com
and for a skimmer, I would use CD-134292
Skilter 400 (pumps 400 g.p.h.).

The reason for these choce is for you to have a good amount of biofiltration going on.

As for fish selection, Tangs in general should not be placed in a tank less than 50 gallons since they are very active swimmers, it not be good to have in your tank unless you shall be upgrading soon. yes, you can keep clowns in your tank just make sure either they are mated pairs or different colors if not. :D

I Would go with the 55 so you can get 1 tang only since they are extremely territorial in small tanks, but you would have to buy more live rock and sand and change the filter for a cabinet one which would eleminate all the nasty tubing and pieces inside your display.

if you got a 55 that would still be on the small side for a tang. Some people say its okay for a yellow, some don't. If you wanted a regal or a purple tang then a 55 is still too small. If you got the 55 and a yellow tang, they would get along with the clowns, just add the tang last.
For clowns, your best bet is to get tank breed and get them when there young. It's not always the best idea to put different types in the same tank, especially in a 29.
As far as an anenome, you should hold off for like a year before attempting that, if at all.

if it's one thing that you will find out in life is that many people have their own opinions on things, I have keep two tangs in one tang without a problem, you just need to introduce them at the same time as for clowns, you can keep them in a tank with tangs and it will not be a problem at all. As for Anemone, you don't have to wait a year, if you read up on it and know that you may have to target feed it and of its special care, then you can do it easily.

Definitley going to pick up the emperor and the skilter, not as expensive as I thought theyd be. UV I'll pick up last, a little pricey. And 70lbs of LR! Wow, could I get away with less? Hope my old floors can take the weight! :D

I'll think about the tangs, maybe I'll try to find smaller fish I like as much. It seems all the fish I like are always on the large size. :? But I really do like clowns and anemones.

This may be a stupid question, but do I need to have the UV and the skimmer on while the tank is cycling? Or only when I add the fish?

Thank you for your help!!

Here's some more opinions to confuse you again:

Skip the HOB and the UV completely.
Get a better skimmer.. everyone here says AquaC Remora is the best.
Get 1 to 1.5 lbs LR per gal for whichever size tank you get.
Get 2 powerheads - total flow per hour should be at least 10 and upto 20 times tank size for a reef.

You would probably do well to skip the tangs for either tank but there are plenty of beautiful alternatives :wink:

Atari said:
Here's some more opinions to confuse you again:

Skip the HOB and the UV completely.
Get a better skimmer.. everyone here says AquaC Remora is the best.
Get 1 to 1.5 lbs LR per gal for whichever size tank you get.
Get 2 powerheads - total flow per hour should be at least 10 and upto 20 times tank size for a reef.

You would probably do well to skip the tangs for either tank but there are plenty of beautiful alternatives :wink:
Agreed, I'd also skip the anemone. Until the tank has properly matured (1 year), your chances of keeping one alive let alone healthy is quite low. Start slow, learn and prepare yourself and the tank for the more challenging animals you want to keep in the future.

Having the right equipment is one thing, a certain level of experience is quite another. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom