Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
harryggumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 241
New SW tank size

Hey guys I'm new to SW tanks. I currently have a FW 36g but was curious as to what size would be realistic for someone who is new to SW. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as any product recommendations.
__________________

__________________
harryggumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 54
As big as you can afford. the same theory applies to salt as fresh, more water less headache. But in the case of marine, the bigger can mean more expensive. Ive kept everything from a 10 gal. nano to a 150 gal. reef.
__________________

__________________
Shadow Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
harryggumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Bass View Post
As big as you can afford. the same theory applies to salt as fresh, more water less headache. But in the case of marine, the bigger can mean more expensive. Ive kept everything from a 10 gal. nano to a 150 gal. reef.

Thank you for the input I would like to do maybe a 50 gallon to start off with but I wasn't sure as too if that would be too small as I'm new to SW. I mean I would love to have a 200g tank but right now it's just not realistic
__________________
harryggumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
harryggumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 241
Would I be able to do a lot with a 55g tank or would that still be small for most SW fish. I know clowns and tanks are supposed to have a lot of room that is why I ask
__________________
harryggumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 54
The 55 gal. aquarium is probably one of the most popular tank sizes. There is a lot of very nice things you could do. I would start off with a good deep sand bed, seeded with about a gallon of substrate from a good dealers tanks. Add about 40 # of Dry Rock, (cheaper) and maybe 10# of live coraline covered live rock (i like fiji) toss in a few reef hermits, maybe a brittle star, and let it cycle. While you wait for that to settle in > read, read, and read some more. There are almost an endless number of fish and inverts you could house in a 55. I lean toward low stocking. But to each his own.
__________________
Shadow Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Melissajk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mission Viejo, Calif
Posts: 376
I started with a 18 gallon, after 4 months I went to a 50 gallon, the next year now is a 120 gallon. The 120 gallon is much easier and you can have more fish

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Melissajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Beej1254's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 613
I have been telling one of my friends who wants a tank to go in the 30-55gal range. It's manageable and you can make it really nice but your equipment costs aren't as high. After you do it for awhile and learn more you can expand either the tank you have or go into bigger sizes. But if you hate it you didn't waste (hopefully) a ton of money on equipment.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Beej1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
harryggumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissajk View Post
I started with a 18 gallon, after 4 months I went to a 50 gallon, the next year now is a 120 gallon. The 120 gallon is much easier and you can have more fish

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh wow you expanded rather quickly then! That's great! What are the dimensions of the 120g? Do you have any pictures?
__________________
harryggumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
harryggumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Bass View Post
The 55 gal. aquarium is probably one of the most popular tank sizes. There is a lot of very nice things you could do. I would start off with a good deep sand bed, seeded with about a gallon of substrate from a good dealers tanks. Add about 40 # of Dry Rock, (cheaper) and maybe 10# of live coraline covered live rock (i like fiji) toss in a few reef hermits, maybe a brittle star, and let it cycle. While you wait for that to settle in > read, read, and read some more. There are almost an endless number of fish and inverts you could house in a 55. I lean toward low stocking. But to each his own.

Okay because I definitely want to do live rocks with maybe some coral what do you think? Are they hard to keep if you have the right lighting?
__________________
harryggumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
harryggumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej1254 View Post
I have been telling one of my friends who wants a tank to go in the 30-55gal range. It's manageable and you can make it really nice but your equipment costs aren't as high. After you do it for awhile and learn more you can expand either the tank you have or go into bigger sizes. But if you hate it you didn't waste (hopefully) a ton of money on equipment.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very true on the money aspect. Is it more difficult to start up a tank based on size or is it relatively the same all around regardless of the size?
__________________

__________________
harryggumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
size, tan, tank, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum tank size size for blue ram calfishguy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 15 04-10-2012 11:19 AM
sump size? pump size? Silent Night General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 19 07-20-2010 01:40 PM
Size of PVC piping in relation to size of pump connections chase33 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 02-19-2007 05:17 AM
Help! Odd size tank needs odd size hood NewFishFella General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 6 08-31-2006 11:24 AM
What size refugium per size tank? doughboydj Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 06-15-2004 10:15 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.