Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New SW tank size

Hey guys I'm new to SW tanks. I currently have a FW 36g but was curious as to what size would be realistic for someone who is new to SW. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as any product recommendations.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

As big as you can afford. the same theory applies to salt as fresh, more water less headache. But in the case of marine, the bigger can mean more expensive. Ive kept everything from a 10 gal. nano to a 150 gal. reef.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Bass View Post
As big as you can afford. the same theory applies to salt as fresh, more water less headache. But in the case of marine, the bigger can mean more expensive. Ive kept everything from a 10 gal. nano to a 150 gal. reef.

Thank you for the input I would like to do maybe a 50 gallon to start off with but I wasn't sure as too if that would be too small as I'm new to SW. I mean I would love to have a 200g tank but right now it's just not realistic
Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would I be able to do a lot with a 55g tank or would that still be small for most SW fish. I know clowns and tanks are supposed to have a lot of room that is why I ask
Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

The 55 gal. aquarium is probably one of the most popular tank sizes. There is a lot of very nice things you could do. I would start off with a good deep sand bed, seeded with about a gallon of substrate from a good dealers tanks. Add about 40 # of Dry Rock, (cheaper) and maybe 10# of live coraline covered live rock (i like fiji) toss in a few reef hermits, maybe a brittle star, and let it cycle. While you wait for that to settle in > read, read, and read some more. There are almost an endless number of fish and inverts you could house in a 55. I lean toward low stocking. But to each his own.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started with a 18 gallon, after 4 months I went to a 50 gallon, the next year now is a 120 gallon. The 120 gallon is much easier and you can have more fish

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have been telling one of my friends who wants a tank to go in the 30-55gal range. It's manageable and you can make it really nice but your equipment costs aren't as high. After you do it for awhile and learn more you can expand either the tank you have or go into bigger sizes. But if you hate it you didn't waste (hopefully) a ton of money on equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissajk View Post
I started with a 18 gallon, after 4 months I went to a 50 gallon, the next year now is a 120 gallon. The 120 gallon is much easier and you can have more fish

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh wow you expanded rather quickly then! That's great! What are the dimensions of the 120g? Do you have any pictures?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Bass View Post
The 55 gal. aquarium is probably one of the most popular tank sizes. There is a lot of very nice things you could do. I would start off with a good deep sand bed, seeded with about a gallon of substrate from a good dealers tanks. Add about 40 # of Dry Rock, (cheaper) and maybe 10# of live coraline covered live rock (i like fiji) toss in a few reef hermits, maybe a brittle star, and let it cycle. While you wait for that to settle in > read, read, and read some more. There are almost an endless number of fish and inverts you could house in a 55. I lean toward low stocking. But to each his own.

Okay because I definitely want to do live rocks with maybe some coral what do you think? Are they hard to keep if you have the right lighting?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej1254 View Post
I have been telling one of my friends who wants a tank to go in the 30-55gal range. It's manageable and you can make it really nice but your equipment costs aren't as high. After you do it for awhile and learn more you can expand either the tank you have or go into bigger sizes. But if you hate it you didn't waste (hopefully) a ton of money on equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very true on the money aspect. Is it more difficult to start up a tank based on size or is it relatively the same all around regardless of the size?

Tags
size, tan, tank, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com