new tangs fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay.... I know sometimes this happens and it's just the luck of the draw. I just got a Yellow Tang and Yellow Eyed Kole Tang. Both small and were in same BIG tank at the LFS. I acclimated them and added them to my 125g just now. The Kole is nipping at the yellow.

What should I do? Should I watch for a while to see if he stops or just assume if I don't take the yellow out he will be murdered :(

It's a big tank with 150lbs of LR but the silly yellow doesn't seem to want to move to another location.

Takes a while for nature to take its course. Given the stress and my experience with yellows, I wouldn't be surprised if it was crashed out in the next couple days. Yellows just don't seem to deal with stress very well. I would be tempted to remove the kole and let the yellow establish itself for a couple weeks, if not a month. Once established a kole could be introduced but even if its a standard 6 foot 125, you may still see them butt heads. I have a scopas and for a short while I had a blue in the tank with it. They would almost always be in some sort of small tiff, that is until feeding time. Maybe feed them a little extra, try putting a clip of sea veggies on one side for the yellow, another clip on the opposite side for the kole. Food is sometimes a great diversion and a full belly can help bring the aggression down a notch or two. Either that or pick a tang to keep and take the other one back.

In times of aggression turning out the lights and moving some LR around seems to have worked for me. Try that and see if it helps.

Thanks All -- That is kind of exactly what I did. They seemed to be fighting over the same "cave". So I moved the cave and shut off the lights LOL Today I have not seen the kole nip at the yellow at all. I will say though that the yellow is starving for attention because she just follows the kole everywhere!

My poor clown is trying to dig his way into the Green Duncan... he is scared :(

Back
Top Bottom