New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Don't take this the wrong way and I don't think you are stupid but I have to mention... Paint the outside of the back, not the inside" Chisel; thanks for the info, I did know this.

Ziggy953; that seems like a lot of rock, I have been thinking of 40kg (90lbs). Looks like I will have to rethink my live rock. I will eventually be having either 250w or 2x150w MH (14000k). Interesting you say sand; I have had a lot of aquarium shops recommend crushed quartz and shy away from the sand as they say it is dead space. With my water flow I am planning on getting 2 Tunze nano's.

Come Tuesday I will unpack my tank, add some water and live rock (no light), then I will add the substrate a few days later so by the weekend my tank can happily start cycling.

Here is why I say sand. The ocean bottom is sand. Sand is a natural filter as it houses beneficial bacteria that will convert ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate, thus filtering your water. I say 1.5-2lbs of LR per gallon because with that amount of rock you will have more surface area for additional bacteria colonies to grow and filter your water.

I have so much rock in my system because I have a total water volume of about 240g of water. I have a 55g frag system plumbed into my display and sumps so I have additional LR in my sump to help filter the additional water volume. I have a large refugium (20g) to further filter my water. I also use a large and powerful skimmer to keep the DOCs in check. I do not use chemical or mechanical filtration unless a situation calls for it. Since my recent tank disaster I have used GAC a couple of times simply because I stirred up a lot of nasty stuff.

I would suggest using sugar fine or aragonite or a mix of the two for your substrate. Quartz or Crushed Coral are not the best options especially if you are planning on having a reef tank. The particles are large enough that they will trap detritus and can lead to higher nitrates and with that algae outbreaks.

ziggy963 thanks for the info. I have just put my tank together (in fact I have just finishing pluming the sump right now). On thursday I will go and get the rock and sand. I do have 1 more question for you Ziggy; what is GAC?

Back
Top Bottom