New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I just bought a 70 gallon glass bow front tank from a friend. He also included a filter looks a little used, and a strip light with florescent bulbs. I am new to this . I bought a book called Saltwater aquariums for dummies. (ie: me) I am considering putting in a canister filter. However I am on a budget. So it will be a while before it is up and running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I need to clean it. There is salt on it. What can i use to clean the inside and out that won't hurt and leave a residue. Someone suggested vinegar and water????????

Cat

Vinegar and water will remove the calcium buildup. Also soat that filter in it to. Then just rinse well. Any type of light would be Okay for a Fish Only tank. If you want to do corals, well that's another story. What type of lights do you have, wattage, length, make? When you get that done. Look at the sticky's on this site and read up on the setup and how to get started.
Also remember "Google is your friend".
Welcome to the site...
img_992323_0_9d250f240c9f2c6aa31924497c7e2a7d.gif

When I clean a tank I use a couple caps of bleach in a bucket of water. I wash the tank and then rinse real good. I allow the tank to air dry completely dry. Any chlorine will disapate when completely dried. For good measure run some dechlorinator in the tank when you fill it up.

Hey Cat;

Sooooo, you're gonna take the saltwater plunge! Good for you. And a 70g bowfront! Doesn't get much better than that. Anyway, saltwater. As you've noticed already, there's salt. You're gonna need to wipe things down regularly or it will get everywhere. Agree with thincat and melosu58, vinegar is great. So is bleach. Both are great cleaners and will most likely kill off any nasty surprises that might be left over in the tank. Bleach might do a tad better but either one. Don't use soap/detergents. Bad Carma!!! And residue too. Bad for people, worse for fishies. Don't know what kind if filter you have (H.O.B. hang on back?) but it's probably fine for now. Clean it up and let 'er fly. I think changing to a canister later on would be a good idea. Easier care, cleaner water and happier fishies. (a 70g bowfront... I am so jealous.)

Congrats!

Oh, you've got to check out "cleaner shrimps" Way cool. ;)

Yeah, i bought it from a person i work with. I was thinking i might buy a canister. I was gonna buy everything i need it will take me about 6 months to get it set up. What brands do you buys recommend. Is there a checklist i should go by to get everything.

Yeah, i bought it from a person i work with. I was thinking i might buy a canister. I was gonna buy everything i need it will take me about 6 months to get it set up. What brands do you buys recommend. Is there a checklist i should go by to get everything.
Eheim canisters rock, however they are a bit pricey. Mine has been with me for 15 years and has never failed, is super quiet and does a great job. IMO, it's worth the extra money if you chose to go that route. Mine is now labeled the classic 2215. I know gallons per hour are important but you also have to look at how much water is actually being filtered with minimal water bypass.

Back
Top Bottom