New tank 14 days still a haze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have a 90 gallon built in overflow.

It's been running for 14 days.

I used live sands 80 pounds , live rock 80 pounds and sea water. I did not get much of a cycle at all. However my tank still is hazy.

I

My tests are as following.

Ph 8.3
S/g 1.020
No2 0
No3 0
Ammonia 0
Temp 80

My skimmer is skimming allot I have it wide open.
Skim mate is drk green and liquidly.

Using 50 micron as a filter with a nylon bag of carbon for filtration. I have been cleaning the 50 micron filter every other day.

Cool setup. The cycle probably hasn't started because you are taking out all the organic waste that is supposed to be converted into ammonia->nitrite->nitrate. I suggest turning off the skimmer, don't clean the sock for a while, and let things run. Might even want to add a shrimp or an extra source of ammonia as your LR might not be enough.

So here's a few pics of my tank. The haze still is not going away and I can't get it to look any better. I just removed my Dead/dried sea sponge and sea fans. Pics before and after

Attachments

• image-3487858648.jpg
    image-3487858648.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1043573991.jpg
    image-1043573991.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image-928500337.jpg
    image-928500337.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-4009360398.jpg
    image-4009360398.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2480124062.jpg
    image-2480124062.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 107
Just turned my skimmer off. Here's a pic of my skim mate . Now I wish I never added my eel till my water was spotless

Attachments

• image-1690271258.jpg
    image-1690271258.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3483774013.jpg
    image-3483774013.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 87
Oh oops, didn't know you already had it cycled. Nvm then :lol: Love the snowflake eel! Maybe it's the fine debri from the sand. Looks like you're using sugar-fine sand. Did you rinse it?

No it's live sand from the lfs in pre packaged 20 lb bags. I never had a problem with this tank I set up

Attachments

• image-4129752986.jpg
    image-4129752986.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 86
The only thing I can think of is if the powerheads were pointed down towards the sand and stirring it up a bit, but it doesn't appear to be that way.

Think I'm gonna buy a distom filter and use it and see what happens .

Correction that's a diatom filter. I've seen those things do some pretty magical things

Hey whats up.I had the same problem with haze. I bought a UV sterilizer and that ended the problem for good

mostchillwill said:
Hey whats up.I had the same problem with haze. I bought a UV sterilizer and that ended the problem for good

What uv and how many gph did you run through it cause I have a 9watt turbo twist on my other tank. Should I run it for killing paradites, algae, bacteria.

They all require different gph rates

Ok we'll I just hooked up the 9 watt coralife turbo twist on this tank. I'm using a rio 600 pump with a three foot head. Lets see if this works

Ahhhhh okay.. Well the coralife turbo twist is suppose to be the best on the market cause it twists the watter around the uv bulb for more contact time.

Hope this works

Yeah mine zig zags the water for more contact time. Pretty much the same thing though. I'm just not sure of your wattage. It might take longer. Mines cleared up over night.

Okay we'll I'm gonna buy the same thing you have too and hook up ... I'll run the coralife real slow to kill parasites

Shaker said:
Okay we'll I'm gonna buy the same thing you have too and hook up ... I'll run the coralife real slow to kill parasites

I doubt the cloudiness is from algae blooms i think its your eel digging and stirring up sand

In my other tank my engineer golby that's all he does is dig up sand all night every night however the watter doesn't stay cloudy more than an hour or so... Maybe I should increase filtration like add a canister filter

Back
Top Bottom