new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeysuckle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone i new to doing salt water. i have a 55 gallon fresh water tank thats been running for over a year. my girlfriend talk me into doing salt water. So i had a 30 gallon tank i start with 2 hang on fliters. One is a 20 gallon fliter others a 50 gallon fliter both with bio wheel. 25 pounds of live rock. I let it run for 2 weeks and had gotten 2 clown fish that i have had in there for a week now. Couple questions. First how many fish could i get in the 30 gallon tank? And second whats the best way to get the brown algae of the live rock? i was told a tooth brush is that true? Oh and one more what would be a good clean up crew for my tank? Thanks for anyone who can help me.

How many fish depends on what kind of fish you want to stock.

Is the brown algae on the rock diatoms?

As far as good CUC, it depends on what you like. A few turbo, nerite and astraea snails would be ok, and a few hermits. CUCs aren't a necessity, so go with what you would like to see in the tank.

yes i got the master test kit by api. i was told the brown algea on the live rock cause of my tank cycling but was told i can use a tooth brush to scrub it off. i was think i put 2 clown fish maybe a goby or benny and a flame angel maybe. with couple shrimp couple hermit crab some soft coral maybe and couple plants maybe that to much?

Maybe a little on the heavily stocked side, but with dedication could work. Also, the flame angel may nip at corals.

question is the flame angel fish hard to keep alive? some people say yes some people say no

honeysuckle11 said:
question is the flame angel fish hard to keep alive? some people say yes some people say no

I've been doing this for awhile and haven't kept one longer then a week, I gave up on them. I've got hard fish too. Copperband, beta, had a mandarin. So I'm going with yes they are. Like coral beauty's?

whats another nice looking fish i could get then to replace it? i mean i heard almost any angel hard to keep alive is that true?

honeysuckle11 said:
whats another nice looking fish i could get then to replace it? i mean i heard almost any angel hard to keep alive is that true?

See my last post... The coral beauty... Lol... It's a lil easier to keep. Plus beautiful color.

sry lol i see it now. i have a question someone kinda has me talk into getting a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchmen goby how with it go with them?

honeysuckle11 said:
sry lol i see it now. i have a question someone kinda has me talk into getting a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchmen goby how with it go with them?

I have the same combo... Very unique pairing. Like a clown and nem...

so u think with the clown fishs the goby pistol and the angel that would be all i can do fish wise fir a 30 gallon tank? i meany i like to docouple hermt crab or snails? and a plant for my clown fish

Check out the goby section on live aquaria and browse there. most have magnificent coloring, peaceful,reef safe, and can be kept in small tanks

Yes but he won't pair.. pistol shrimp usually aren't a problem

Back
Top Bottom