New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjern

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Added a 20 gal saltwater tank in my son's room and the water is crystal clear. Is this uncommon? Looks better than other tank and it has only been up for two weeks

image-96177857.jpg

image-2511668651.jpg

Not uncommon I had crushed coral and play sand with two filters hooked up and within minutes it cleared right up

Mine was clear from day 1! That's why tests are so important when it is so you can see if there's any issues...

Haha be happy!! Crystal clear is good!! Nice rock work btw...

Good luck with the tank! Look forward to updated pics.

Many aquariums will be crystal clear in the beginning. However, when you begin to add fish, coral, (if you add coral) and when your rock begins to encrust with algae you may have a few issues with bad algae and maybe a little bit of water clarity issues. To prevent these future issues you should use ro/di water.

Hope you don't have any of the issues to any extent at all.
Good Luck!

T.S.

Bigjern said:
Where do you find RO/DI water. I have using the salt water from petco

U can purchase a unit off eBay or buy a unit from ur lfs.

Bigjern said:
Where do you find RO/DI water. I have using the salt water from petco

I highly recommend going to your local hardware store (menards is the cheapest) and getting two or three clear or non-clear ro canisters. Most of the canisters have five or one micron carbon filters with them. You should get a five micron sediment filter for the first canister, a five micron carbon for the second, (it could be a one micron if you only do two filters) in the third you should put a one micron carbon. (some of the carbon filters have a sediment filter wrapped around them. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend) Then you will want to go to bulkreefsupply.com. This site will have your di portion of the unit. It will be about $40 for a single di canister. (use color changing di resin) Then plumb this into your main water source for your aquarium. (make sure you have a shut off valve built into it or you will always be filtering water and that will result in your filters clogging faster.
There are pluses and minuses to this method. It is much cheaper than buying a ro/di unit with a 98% rejection. (the canisters at menards are around $30 each) The system has no rejection which means you don't have to have drain line. You have unlimited water at anytime. You won't have to wait hours to get just a few gallons of water. The real only bad is that it does produce as pure as water as a ro/di unit with a ro membrane in it.
In this case it's your choice on do you want pretty good water that will cost you half of an actual ro/di unit, or do want great water that has a lot of rejection, is slow producing, and is expensive? Also take the advice of other users too and see what they think of my idea or just getting an ro/di unit.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom