New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For stocking... Do you think when I get my tank cycled I should qt my clown fish or just put them right in?

There is a mixed train of thought on that. Some people QT everything while others don't QT anything at all...I'm a member of the later and have been burned. The whole reason to QT is to make sure it is a bare bones setup so you can medicate with things like copper and not have any issues with it leaching into the rock/sand of your display.

I see no down side to QT. I understand that it may add some stress to a new fish, but it is only a matter of time before you introduce something that has Ich or MV and then you are almost forced into a QT situation. I guess I would rather stress a potentially healthy fish than one that has something.

I currently have my 240g in Hyposalinity due to Ich. I was forced to go this way due to inheriting some large fish that would not work well in a 45g QT. So far, so good, but not an ideal situation.

Is there a way I do it so that I can be quarantining a fish while cycling my tank? Or do I wait the month for the tank to cycle and then another for the fish in quarantine?

You would have to cycle the qt tank as well so if you plan on going this way I'd start it as soon as you can.

set some filter floss, have a hobby friend place it in their tank (preferably a decent flow area) for 2-3 weeks, then setup a qt tank (10g will work) and then put that filter floss into the hob filter.... there ya go. qt tank

Well just an update. Got the stand and tank done. Making saltwater now. This 75gpd Rodi unit takes forever! Once I have the water made up I will start working on the rockscape.

Attachments

• 1390101003316.jpg
    1390101003316.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 134
Went to Petco today and bought a 20gal all in one tank for a quarantine!

Thank you very much carey. It took me a long time to get to this point!

Just a quicker update! What do you guys think of the rock scape? Be Honest! Is it too much or too little in dt?

Attachments

• 1390268971100.jpg
    1390268971100.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 90
Here is another shot

Attachments

• 1390271229300.jpg
    1390271229300.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 95
Since the rock is in.... When u put the sand in do u just swoosh it around with my hand to get it in between the rocks and stuff or is there a nice technique?

Since the rock is in.... When u put the sand in do u just swoosh it around with my hand to get it in between the rocks and stuff or is there a nice technique?

You dony reallu want to swoosh it. Best way is probably a pvc pipe or equal and maybe a funnel so you can pour the sand in straight to the bottom without creating a sand storm. It will take a day or so for the water to clear and for it to all settle. In your case with nothing in the tank but water you could pour it in and it will settle on its own. Does the tank have water in it yet?

No water yet. I plan on adding the sand first and then the water.

I find it easier to put the water in then add with a piece of PVC pipe and a funnel. You can get it exactly where you want it and it clears up in a few hours

Back
Top Bottom