New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Refugium size is based off what you are wanting out of it. I run a trigger systems sump on my 75, and the fuge is a middle chamber fuge that is 9.5" L x 11.5"W. It does the job I need it to, as far as reducing nitrates and phosphates to a degree and is excellent for growing pods and such.

As far as a protein skimmer, I would go +1 on the gallon rating. I run a Bubble Magus NAC7 on my 75 that is rated from 135g-185g. It does a great job and is small enough that it doesn't take up a huge amount of space in my sump.

Im going to look at a 75 gallon today, all marineland cornerflo with a marineland series 2 sump and return pump guy wants 350

Refugium size is based off what you are wanting out of it. I run a trigger systems sump on my 75, and the fuge is a middle chamber fuge that is 9.5" L x 11.5"W. It does the job I need it to, as far as reducing nitrates and phosphates to a degree and is excellent for growing pods and such.

As far as a protein skimmer, I would go +1 on the gallon rating. I run a Bubble Magus NAC7 on my 75 that is rated from 135g-185g. It does a great job and is small enough that it doesn't take up a huge amount of space in my sump.

Thank you for the info. Now I can do more research and look around for best pricing.

What is a good brand of heater and what size for the 75gal?

I am going to look into the ruby sumps alittle further. But does anyone have experience with them?

I am going to look into the ruby sumps alittle further. But does anyone have experience with them?

I've seen them in use. Really nice compared to the crystal series I have. The ruby has the red baffles on either side of the fuge to diffuse some of the light on the fuge. Cuts down on algae build up in your skimmer. I would have gone with the 30 ruby but it was too wide for my stand, thus I had to go with the crystal.

I run 2 underpowered heaters so that if one gets stuck on, it won't cook the tank. Also if one gets stuck off, the tank won't cool down enough that it would be a problem.

Very smart thinking.

Also I believe the ph should be 30-50x the gallons In the tank. For a 75 would 3300 be ok? It's above 40x the tank size.

Very smart thinking.

Also I believe the ph should be 30-50x the gallons In the tank. For a 75 would 3300 be ok? It's above 40x the tank size.

I think you would be ok. I'm at about 3200 gph according to Ecotech Marine's flow calculator with a MP40 and MP10 dialed at about 50% power. If its too much, and you don't have a variable speed powerhead, you can pull one out or downsize one pump and use the extra for mixing salt.

I have two heaters as well. Its good just incase one decides to kick the bucket. Plus having two minimizes the work of the other heater.

First off thanks to everyone that's put their knowledge into the conversation.

My calculation for my 3300gph is with using to power head and doesn't include the skimmer and return pump. And now seeing the reasoning for two smaller heaters then one big one I will going with two smaller ones!

I think with everything on the list u can prolly start up my first tank for around $1700! Sound about right?

You can do it cheaper than that! All depends on what you have your mind set on for equipment.

You can do it cheaper than that! All depends on what you have your mind set on for equipment.

Here is the parts list I have so far:

75gal corner flo tank =$275
Reef octopus skimmer =$245
Ruby 36 sump =$309
Rodi filter =$219
Koralia magnum 5 (x2) =$158
Eheim 1250 return pump =$140
Taotronic led light (x2) =$190
Eheim jäger 100watt heater (x2) =$52

I would like to stick with new parts due to the fact I don't wanna be nickel and dimed through out the whole process. If anyone has any changes I should make to my list please let me know. Thanks for your time!

I just got a 75 gallon corner flo tank and marineland tidepool 2 sump and marineland 1200 gph return pump and stand all for 350:) sounds like you have a similar setup in mind

Here is the parts list I have so far:

75gal corner flo tank =$275
Reef octopus skimmer =$245
Ruby 36 sump =$309
Rodi filter =$219
Koralia magnum 5 (x2) =$158
Eheim 1250 return pump =$140
Taotronic led light (x2) =$190
Eheim jäger 100watt heater (x2) =$52

I would like to stick with new parts due to the fact I don't wanna be nickel and dimed through out the whole process. If anyone has any changes I should make to my list please let me know. Thanks for your time!

You can shave some money with this RODI unit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

I have this one and its great! Produces more than enough water for my 75 and 34.

Other than that, your list looks good!

Take a look at these powerheads:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6045.html

Just my opinion, but I've owned both Hydor and Tunze powerheads and I lean towards the Tunze models. They have way better directional control in my experience. 2 of these would be a great start for your tank, and you could always add 1 more down the road if you decide to go the SPS route.

Back
Top Bottom