New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can shave some money with this RODI unit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

I have this one and its great! Produces more than enough water for my 75 and 34.

Other than that, your list looks good!

Take a look at these powerheads:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6045.html

Just my opinion, but I've owned both Hydor and Tunze powerheads and I lean towards the Tunze models. They have way better directional control in my experience. 2 of these would be a great start for your tank, and you could always add 1 more down the road if you decide to go the SPS route.

Are the powers heads I posted not big enough or just a crapy brand?

I just got a 75 gallon corner flo tank and marineland tidepool 2 sump and marineland 1200 gph return pump and stand all for 350:) sounds like you have a similar setup in mind

You got yourself a heck of a great deal!

Not at all. I just think you get more direction control with the Tunze pumps. Just my opinion, others may have different opinions.

I appreciate all the input! This is going to be a slow process. We are still waiting to hear about buying a house! We just wanna have everything together so when we get the house we can start it up!

I sure did get a good deal! All i need is some new sand, and some more liverock and ill be set!

What is the difference between a pin wheel and a recirculating skimmer? Besides price! Which is better investment?

Im no pro, but im looking at skimmers too, i found one its called a tubeless skimmer its about 180$ every review ive read has been great! I think i need a hob skimmer though, as my sumps max water level is about 6 inches, its a tidepool 2. As for venturi driven its all air mixed in and chopped to catch the toxins and waste in the contact time within the body of the skimmer, and recirculating uses a more powerful water flow which in turn creates more micro bubbles, recirculating skimmers i do believe are bigger on the footprint side of things i may be wrong though

Now that I have spent a lot of time reading the thread about LED light I am def going with taotronics. Should I go ahead and buy the light controller so I am have the phases of the day or no?

If I buy 2 Eheim Jager 150w heaters would that work? They are rated for a 79gal tank. Do I need to account for the sump when looking for a heater?

If I buy 2 Eheim Jager 150w heaters would that work? They are rated for a 79gal tank. Do I need to account for the sump when looking for a heater?

Yes the sump adds extra water volume to your display tank. Alot of people put the heaters in the sump so its hidden out of view

I have a question, why would you buy a $300 sump when you can make one for like $60?
Buy a 40g breeder and silicone whatever size glass pieces you want and you're done.
Except would a 40g breeder have too wide a footprint?

Some people buy a sump because of special features and compartments for special filters. All sumps are the same pretty much. So yes DIY save some money.
The size if the sump will depend on where you want to lay it out. I prefer mine in the cabinet below out of view. So you would make one that fits. If you plan on growing macro algae to lower nitrates, just know a you will need a light source. Thats why i like mine in the cabinet so its not so bright.

So for a 75gal with sump I would be ok with two heaters rated up to 79gal or should I just buy one rated up to 106gal? Or do I need to get an even bigger one?

Back
Top Bottom