New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I joined the Delaware Valley reef club. I posted on the forums about Stand plans and immediately got a responce of a guy who is building it. Saltwater hobbiests are awesome! Here is the start of the frame and canopy.

IMG_6706.jpg

Well I finally got my stand and now I am in the process of staining it... I hope it turns out well!

So I was wondering what lenses I should have on my taotronics... I think they have 90 degree not 120. Is this OK?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some people buy a sump because of special features and compartments for special filters. All sumps are the same pretty much. So yes DIY save some money.
The size if the sump will depend on where you want to lay it out. I prefer mine in the cabinet below out of view. So you would make one that fits. If you plan on growing macro algae to lower nitrates, just know a you will need a light source. Thats why i like mine in the cabinet so its not so bright.

I'm growing some macroalgae under my display tank in the sump for two weeks in lowlight and not much growth happening yet. looks like it's starting to die back any thoughtsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387496680.731832.jpg

So I was wondering what lenses I should have on my taotronics... I think they have 90 degree not 120. Is this OK?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
90 seems to be the norm. 120 would be useful if you couldnt get the panels up away fromt he water enough, and 60 degree lenses are good for people that want a bit of distance between the lights and tank.

To use filter sock or not to use filter socks is the questionI. Pro and cons?

As for the filter sock. run one for a week or two and you will see what gunk it catches. lol I would never run my tanks without one now that I know what it catches. lol It is an extra step in maintainign the tank, I change mine out every few days but I feel its def worth it in the end. :)

I ran my tank without filter socks going into my sump for a month. The detritus that built up in that time literally caused more issues than I'd had in the entire life span of the tank. Had to break the sump down and clean it out to get ahead of the problem.

Well quickly update. Painted the back of the tank. Putting finishing touch on the stand and just ordered the apex lite controller. Apparently apex is no longer making the lite. Just junior and higher models!

wait what?!? please tell me this is a recent thing and they didn't stop production months ago. im about to order an APex Lite here in the next 2-3 weeks.

Well quickly update. Painted the back of the tank. Putting finishing touch on the stand and just ordered the apex lite controller. Apparently apex is no longer making the lite. Just junior and higher models!

wait what?!? please tell me this is a recent thing and they didn't stop production months ago. im about to order an APex Lite here in the next 2-3 weeks.

As of today they are no longer manufacturing the Apex lite. If it's something you want, you may have to purchase it sooner than later. Not sure if they're coming up with a lower cost inro model down the road or what, but this was definitely random news today.

It's done. Bulk reek supply no longer has it on their website. I called them and that's what they said. When I looked on Amazon there was "only one left". So I bought it. Dr. Foster Smith still has them I believe.

Sorry just figured out how to attach photo

Attachments

• 1389214524480.jpg
    1389214524480.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 79
this freaking sucks. im still about 2-3 weeks away from being able to order mine and now theres a chance i might not be able to track down a brand new one... wth. id venture to say they may be launching a newer model line to gradually replace the Apex....but thats just a huge guess.

Well I wish you luck. I am fortunate to get one before they are all gone!

Back
Top Bottom