Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

new tank

im gettin a new 240g tank and i was wonderin if ne1 had ne good ideas about what i should get....i would want to add a banded cat shark in the batch

Old 05-07-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much experience do you have with sw? The banded cat shark is supposed to be for experts only, so I don't want to see you get it and have it die on you shortly there after!

Old 05-07-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

iv been keepin a 10 gallon saltwater w/ 2 damsels for about 2 years so i would still consider myself a newbie but i know plenty of people that u could consider experts and iv been readin a lot about sharks
Old 05-08-2004, 05:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh dear!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #5

10 to 240? Dosen't sound to good I hope you realise the equipment you'll need. Rememebr you will need plenty of flow and LR, and LS. I kept a banded cat in a 55, for a few years and it did fine. Only GOD knows how he really felt, but that was back in the day. Anyways it can be done, and if ur gonna put rock in the main set smaller chunks towards the back so he has plenty of room. Then possibly get a large sump and fill that to the TOP with rock. Also get a good skimmer, and do your water changes. It can be done, but i highly doubt your even close to ready since all you've ever had were damsels. The water changes would also be a chore with such a tank. Mabye you should reconsider?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

y r sharks so hard to keep??????????????????????......some sites say that they r for experts only but some sites say that they are pretty easy to maintain if u have a large enough aquarium
Old 05-09-2004, 01:06 AM   #7

Because there very sensitive to bad water quality. Since they have no scales there also able to get rashes on their udnersides, and they can be iritated easily. If you have an ammonia spike or high nitrates, he could easily die. There really not that cool anyways trust me I had one. All they do is sit on the bottom........... :|
Old 05-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, I would stay away form the sharks. These animals are best left in the wild or in large public aquariums. I would say to keep a shark happy and healthy you will need a minimum of 500 gal, long and shallow tank with plenty of swimming room. I agree with six, any shark you get in your tank will actually be pretty boring. They do not really do much. Be a responsible keeper and stick with animals that will thrive in your tank.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with you guys, sharks are like toys to new fish keepers. I wanted a shark and still do but I will never get one. I have seen several beautiful sharks at LFS, usually they are just sitting in the corner. It is best to have a really long shallow tank for sharks than a regular dimension tank anyway.
50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah after reading some stories i decided that sharks are a little (way) too hard to keep for my standards lol

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com