New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocgirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, was on the member introductions, but thought I would moved it here.

I just got a 28 gallon used acrylic hexagon tank today with a stand. I have to sand and paint the stand first though. I got some advice from another poster, Khij159753, to start out. But that was referring to a 20 gallon tank. I have never done a saltwater tank and have zero experience. I needed a hobby at home because of my illness. I am starting off very slow, the only thing I have so far is the tank, stand, and the hood with a bulb. Except the hood or bulb is not working, not sure which one yet... and the bulb is for a fish only tank. I would like to do a reef and community tank. Any advice would be great. I am going to just buy my water from the local shop.

Is it possible to do a fish only tank with the bulb I have, and later upgrade to a better bulb for coral and add the coral after?

Thank you!:)

Yeah its totally possible to use the same type of bulb. If I were you I would start out with a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) to start and move your way up to reef status.
In my experience saltwater can and will be very tricky to start but just like any other hobby we do this for a reason, ultimately its the beauty of saltwater tanks that keeps us going.
This fourm is VERY helpful.

You will need to do your research( a lot of research, mind u) to figure out what's best for you.
Start by researching what style filtration and if your able to use a" sump"
All I can really tell u is that doing research will help u in the long run.
AND saltwater can be VERY expensive to get started, if money isn't a problem, research!
Anything else I'll try my best to steer u in the right direction.

I have been watching youtube videos on how to set-up a tank. I also got the salt water tank for dummies book to read.

I understand it can be expensive, that is why I am starting to piece together all the equipment I need before starting. From what I have heard, I would need.

Hydrometer to test salinity
Nitrite nitrate and ammonia test kits
20lbs of LR - probably more since this was for a 20 gallon tank?
20lbs of LS - same as above?
A power head - Do I need more than one power head for a 28 gallon tank?
Thermometer
Heater

Is there anything else I would need besides this basic list?

Thank you

ocgirl said:
I have been watching youtube videos on how to set-up a tank. I also got the salt water tank for dummies book to read.

I understand it can be expensive, that is why I am starting to piece together all the equipment I need before starting. From what I have heard, I would need.

Hydrometer to test salinity
Nitrite nitrate and ammonia test kits
20lbs of LR - probably more since this was for a 20 gallon tank?
20lbs of LS - same as above?
A power head - Do I need more than one power head for a 28 gallon tank?
Thermometer
Heater

Is there anything else I would need besides this basic list?

Thank you

Hi! Welcome to AA!! :) that's a good starting list. I would start with FOWLR, and you can at any time in future upgrade your light to accommodate corals.

Hydrometers are under $10, will e fine or FOWLR. If you convert to reef at some point, might want to get a Refractometer at that point, they're usually found on Internet for around $40. But that's down the road. :)

you will need those 3 tests, but I would also get a pH test.

You can have as much or as little rock as you want, really. Some SW tanks are fish only and have NO live rock. And actually, you can cut the price by getting mostly base (dry) rock and just get 1 or 2 piece if live rock to seed the base rock. Base rock is way cheaper, usually under $2/lb, whereas LR can be $6-10/lb, depends on type and where u live. In my 30g I have 2 powerheads, a 500gph and a 150gph. This amount keeps detritus off the sand so the filter can take it out. And my clown likes to play in the current of the 500. :)

The amount of sand you have is up to you too. Some people have bare-bottom tanks, some have 1" sand, others have 5-6" sand. It's whatever you like and what types of fish you're gonna have. If you have anything that digs in the sand, you'll need about 3" sand, which will be about 30-40# sand.

For a heater, the aqueon is good, you can dial in a temp and adjust it. I've heard that they actually live up to their "lifetime" warranty too. And it's made in the USA!! :) they're not too expensive. :)

I didn't see any kind of filter on your list. On my 30g I have an Aqua clear 70. Its about $50 at my lfs. You'll want a filter that's rated at least twice the size of your tank for SW. I have a Fluval. For my 55g, but just went with the hob for the 30, and its been fine so far. If you're gonna go with a sump, I'm sure someone can help if you have questions- I know nothing about sumps.

At some point you'll need a tank vacuum to clean stuff off of bottom of tank and change the water. It's usually around $10 at LFS.

I just use on of those round blue scrub pads to scrub the algae off front an side glass, those are cheap.

Check Craigslist though, I've heard of people getting all kids of crazy deals on things. I unfortunately am not one of those people. :( when you're settin up, let us know!! We'll keep you distracted while you're cycling your tank. :) cause it'll feel like forever!!!

And if you haven't already, check out liveaquaria.com and look up SW fish. That site will tell you what size tank it needs and temperament of each fish. Good luck!!! Happy researching!! You're gonna love SW!! I switched from FW to SW just a short while ago, and I already have 2 tanks cuz I'm totally addicted!!! :)

^+100, totally great advice, I also have a 29g and I only have 1 550gph(its a little weak) Im getting another 550gph. As to the post above IMO I think that a 150gph isn't gonna cut it IMO. But awesome advice non the less.
If you want a protein Skimmer I would recommend CPR's BAK-PAK protein Skimmer. Its a hang-on-back style which I own myself. And can handle tanks up to 75g I believe. I have the old school version, single collection cup, and it rocks.

mikestanked said:
^+100, totally great advice, I also have a 29g and I only have 1 550gph(its a little weak) Im getting another 550gph. As to the post above IMO I think that a 150gph isn't gonna cut it IMO. But awesome advice non the less.
If you want a protein Skimmer I would recommend CPR's BAK-PAK protein Skimmer. Its a hang-on-back style which I own myself. And can handle tanks up to 75g I believe. I have the old school version, single collection cup, and it rocks.

Yeah, I would've never bought the 150gph, but my husband brought it home. He doesn't do much with tank; didn't want to make him feel bad. He was being "helpful". :) that one Along with the 500gph, it's fine for a FOWLR. :)

Your right about them being fine for a FOWLR. Correctly placed they'll do the job ;)
That actually wouldn't be a half bad idea, 1 550 & here's the kicker>2 150's or 2 nano's . To get every last dead area.
?now, which route is cheaper and more practical?

Do u know anything about surface agitation?

mikestanked said:
Your right about them being fine for a FOWLR. Correctly placed they'll do the job ;)
That actually wouldn't be a half bad idea, 1 550 & here's the kicker>2 150's or 2 nano's . To get every last dead area.
?now, which route is cheaper and more practical?

Do u know anything about surface agitation?

I can tell you the 150 cost only about $5 less than the 500, so not cheaper to get several of those over 1 500. I have all my pumps aimed at the surface and towards each other and the current it makes keeps everything stirred up well.

This is my power head formation as of now.
Whatcha think?
Do u ever clean your power heads with vinegar?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120927_043244.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120927_043244.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20120927_043349.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120927_043349.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 84
mikestanked said:
Do u turn ur PH off during feeding? I dont

Yes. It's kinda how I trained them to come eat. Turn off everything, go get the food ready, when I come back everyone is swimming right up front waiting to eat. That way I can make sure everyone eats. Even the pistol and goby come to the burrow opening when everything goes off!! :) when everything back on, any lathing that fell on sand gets blown around and they finish it up. :) works great. I do clean tank stuff with vinegar and rinse well.

Can anybody help a newbie with a lighting schedule. 2 12000 k white t5 bulbs and 2 t5 blue actinics. With 6 blue led moon lights. 80 lbs of caribbean sea base rock 5 inch live sand bed. 6 blue chromis. Tanks 3 weeks old with Tom rapids wet dry with built in protein skimmer. Please advise

Attachments

• image-1231059382.jpg
    image-1231059382.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 69
Moonlights 24/7
Actinics 9AM to 10PM
Whites 10AM to 9PM

This is what works for me with fish and corals.

spoonman said:
Moonlights 24/7
Actinics 9AM to 10PM
Whites 10AM to 9PM

This is what works for me with fish and corals.

The whites and actinics on at the same time basically ?

Thank you for all your help! I just ordered a aqua clear 70 filter online and hope it gets here soon! Slowly checking off things on the list!

Another question, I just found out that my hood is not working, not the bulb. I am going to eventually, hopefully, start a reef once I understand exactly what I am doing, but I don't want to buy something twice. Is there a specific hood/housing I should buy? Or, is it the bulbs that make the difference?

The hood I have right now is 16.5'' long. I am having a hard time finding a different one. That currently is holding a 14w power glow light. I keep finding 20'' hoods.

Back
Top Bottom