Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
new tank

I have a spare 10 gallon tank and was wondering if I could use it for a salt water setup. I know it's small but with all the nano tanks out there, I thought I might give it a try. Any advice.

sansouci01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Of course you can. It will be more of a challenge trying to keep salinity, ph, temp. consistent, but with hard work/dedication it can be done. What kind of advice do you want? It can be done, but if you make mistakes (which always happens) this small system won't be as "forgiving" as say a 100 gallons b/c of the less water volume. Add too much salt and it could throw off the whole balance, but in a larger tank it will have less consequences. Nano tank problems are magnified. Best of luck and it would be cool to have a little reef tank .

“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Also, in a 10g, you'll be limited to about 2 small fish and few inverts and corals. But it could look great, if you're up to it!!
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
I have been considering using a 10-gallon tank just to make a zoa garden. Maybe a couple shrimp or very small fish like a chromis, but mostly just zoas. Obscurereef is right though, you have to keep on top of the parameters or they will quickly degenerate.
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com