new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a spare 10 gallon tank and was wondering if I could use it for a salt water setup. I know it's small but with all the nano tanks out there, I thought I might give it a try. Any advice.

Of course you can. It will be more of a challenge trying to keep salinity, ph, temp. consistent, but with hard work/dedication it can be done. What kind of advice do you want? It can be done, but if you make mistakes (which always happens) this small system won't be as "forgiving" as say a 100 gallons b/c of the less water volume. Add too much salt and it could throw off the whole balance, but in a larger tank it will have less consequences. Nano tank problems are magnified. Best of luck and it would be cool to have a little reef tank :).

Also, in a 10g, you'll be limited to about 2 small fish and few inverts and corals. But it could look great, if you're up to it!! :)

I have been considering using a 10-gallon tank just to make a zoa garden. Maybe a couple shrimp or very small fish like a chromis, but mostly just zoas. Obscurereef is right though, you have to keep on top of the parameters or they will quickly degenerate.

Back
Top Bottom